Sign in with
Your question

Quick storage

Last response: in Storage
September 4, 2010 3:59:42 AM

what are the quickest drives on the market today ? I got into U320's on the desktop about 5 years ago, and it is time to go again

Thanks in advance for any views

--- geoff.

More about : quick storage

a b G Storage
September 4, 2010 4:31:12 AM

A solid performing SDD should outstrip U320 I imagine. Sandforce controllers seem the par for performance in this sector. I got 2 Intel drives (80GB G2)in RAID0 and I'm quite happy, but their writing performance is not as good as a Sandforce offering, not that the writing workload is ever more than downloads or installing apps, 175MB/s should be more than enough. The newer C300 controller is good too. I guess it depends on your budget and how much performance you actually want.
m
l
September 4, 2010 5:12:48 PM

Budget is no constraint, and I was after "as fast as it will go", if you get me.

Thanks for the replty.

--- geoff.
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
September 7, 2010 12:41:51 AM

well a RAID0 of 2 Cruical C300 drives would be about as fast as you'd get without getting just stupid i think. 3 drives wont scale like 2 and you might even be hitting the bandwidth saturation on the bus with 3. I've heard theres a limit of about 667MB/s on a southbridge hdd controller??

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/ssd-charts-2010/Desk...

should show you roughly whats out there and how it performs as you'll see the 256G C300 kicks pretty hard. 2 in RAID0 would see you through for another 5yrs almost.

were you using any third party RAID controllers?
m
l
September 11, 2010 4:44:58 AM

Great - thanks for the inputs.

Cheers.

--- geoff.
m
l
!