Some basic DRAM voltage questions

Tags:
  • RAM
  • CPUs
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
September 13, 2010 9:21:43 PM

Hi,

I was having some memory problems with my new build, not being able to access DDR3-1600 speeds. Someone kindly pointed me in the direction of XMP (which my RAM supports) in order to automatically overclock the RAM to the correct speeds. However, this RAM (Corsair Dominator 2x2Gb DDR3-1600 (9-9-9-24)) has a voltage of 1.65V. The CPU (i5-760) is running at 1.15V on an Asus p7p55-M mobo.

I've been told that this big a difference between RAM and CPU voltages is Not A Good Thing (TM). Can someone explain (in simple terms, very novice BIOS-fiddler here!):

1) Why this is bad?
2) How I should adjust this (increase CPU voltage, decrease DRAM voltage etc.)? And to what values should I change them?
3) A brief explanation of what the voltage does to frequency of the CPU and the RAM?

Sorry for such basic questions, I haven't been able to find any clear information elsewhere....

Cheers,

DB

More about : basic dram voltage questions

a c 88 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
September 13, 2010 9:30:16 PM

I know of no such thing. The only thing to consider with Intel CPUs is to make sure you don't go over 1.65. Anything higher then that and you'll literally burn out the pins in the chip. Leave your CPU at 1.15 if its stable and bump your RAM voltage to 1.65. Use whatever divider to you need to to hit 1600.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
September 14, 2010 1:47:40 AM

I think you got some bad information. You will see suggestions that the DRAM V needs to be within .5 more than the PCH, but that's in regards to stability. If everything is stable, I wouldn't worry about it.

Question for you - are you OCing your CPU?
!