Sign in with
Your question

Please give me some advise on my potential system...

Last response: in Systems
February 23, 2009 2:09:46 AM

Hi. I'm thinking about building my own system and I've never done it before, so I've been doing some research the past few months (well I started at the end of last year, and just picked it up again). I want my computer to be small and neat, so I'm set on a mATX board. I've picked out most of the key parts of the system and wanted to run the list by soem experts to see if I'm going in the right direction. The computer will be used for general computing, some CAD and graphics, watching movies, and possibly playing games (now that I would have a computer that could actaully do it). So I'm pretty much think of this in terms of a mid level media desktop PC. My budget is around 1000-1200 for the computer. After I build the computer I will start looking into monitors and such. I'll eventually upgrade to a 22" or 24" after I see how the build goes. Here is what I was thinking:

Case: LANbox Lite
CPU: Intel Quad Core 9400
Mobo: GA-E7AUM-DS2H or ASUS P5Q-EM G35 (I'm wondering about some compatibility and fitment issues with the GPU)
GPU: HIS H485QT512P Radeon HD 4850 512MB IceQ4
PSU: CORSAIR 620W
RAM: GeIL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 800
HD: Western Digital Caviar Black 750 MB and the Seagate 500 MB drive I have in my current system
DVD: reusing my current one that is about 6 months old
Cooling: Thermaltake Blue Orb II, 1 x 90mm and 3 x 60mm SilenX case fans

I'm having trouble determining the match up between the ATI video card and the two Mobos I choose. Looking at the pictures of the ASUS I looks as though there is a heatsink behind the PCIe slot that would impede the video card, and the Gigabyte board has an nvidia chipset that I'm not sure how teh ATI card would interact with. Any helpful advise on the system or alternate parts to look into is welcome. Thanks
February 23, 2009 11:14:24 PM

Thank you for the information on the cooler and case. I've been to the Thermaltake forum and read several posts that would indicate that the cooler and case can work together and the moderator seems to think it will as well. I'm still concerned about it because it seems as though even if it does fit evertything will be pretty tight and the cooler will likely be above the RAM. I am pretty set on the case, but I'm definitely open to suggestions on a different cooler. Kepp in mid that the tallest the cooler can be is 10cm or 3.9 inches. So that doesn't leave a lot of room. Also the PSU's fan points down towards the CPU as well.
!