Sign in with
Your question

Have you ever seen the device manager list disapear?

Last response: in Motherboards
July 30, 2009 8:08:52 PM

My son plays WOW and he was expressing to me that his game starting feeling a little sluggish at times so I decide to OC his processor and update his video card drivers.

He has the following components:

ASUS K8V-X SE mobo
AMD 2.2G 754 skt CPU
1G DDR ram
Nvidia 7800GS video card

I went from 2.2 to 2.4 stable, tried 2.6 and then the hard drive disappeared and the OS couldn't boot. I backed off to 2.4 and it started working fine again.

I noticed it was very slow to reboot and prior to rebooting Windows XP ran chkdsk and found and fixed a lot of orphaned files and errors on the disk. It did this two boots in a row and I got a message that there were too many hardware changes and the OS would have to be re registered in 3 days.

The internet connection was lost and I couldn't active windows at that time so I decided to check the device manager and the list was completely empty.

There were no devices showing at all!

The only real thing I see wrong with his setup is it has a very cheap power supply. I put a voltage tester on it and the 3.3v was alarming off at 3.6 volts.

I am thinking I need to replace this power supply to omit that from the scenario but I'm curious to think there may already be damage to the motherboard or hard drive.

Its the strangest thing I have ever seen to see the device manager completely empty.

I had gotten to the point where I had uninstalled his video card driver, rebooted and was trying to install the new driver when I discovered this.

Anyone seen this before?

August 3, 2009 8:35:56 PM

Well, Im surprised no one has replied.

I got a new psu, not top tier but definitely much better quality. I will be replacing it tonight when I get back home. I will probably do a fresh install of XP and see if it's stable.
August 6, 2009 2:04:16 AM

Good gawd. Am I the red headed foster child? lol
Related resources
August 6, 2009 6:09:29 PM

Booting once or twice isn't a good test for the stability of all your hardware. My guess is that your computer is unstable at 2.4GHz with the rest of your settings, and this results in write failures on the disk drive.

You can test the Cpu, Ram and corresponding part of the North bridge with
http://www.ultimate-filez.com/files/IntelBurnTest.zip
but that's not the complete machine.

AttoDisk has some capability for checking the data it writes on and reads from a disk, but it's not very demanding, and I know no better one on Win.

A better way is to use the software offered on the manufacturer's site of you hard drive. This will test the drive and basically the Ata (or Scsi...) host adapter. Provided all frequencies were set in the Bios and not tweaked from within a Windows application, these Ms-Dos bootable tests will give a reliable answer.

Anyway, the best test I know to check if the disk host adapter is sound is to install a Windows 2k-Xp or later. It has built-in checks.

Strange things: once you Xp installation is damaged by an overclocked host adapter, expect the unexpected.

3.6V is alarming indeed. Could you check with another voltage tester? Or do you use this one on a daily basis at work, knowing then that it's sound? Anyway, never trust the mobo's built-in voltage measurements: all these chips are too inaccurate - they're even without Intel's tolerance for the Cpu's supply voltages.
August 7, 2009 11:44:29 AM

I have the psu installed. I haven't booted it back up yet due to limited time but I plan to try to do that tonight.

I'm pretty sure that the issue was with the psu and caused the disk read errors which caused all my other issues.

I'm just going to do a fresh install of XP and see how it goes. Once that is done and ok I will mess around with some overclocking.

I will likely take this back apart once I can test to verify its ok and sell it on ebay. It's my sons lucky day as he will be inheriting one of my old 8800GTX ACS3 cards and I will have to get a good cpu and motherboard to go with it. I already have the ddr2 ram.

Selling his old 7800GS, motherboard and processor should get about half of what I need for the motherboard and cpu.

I wish I had a dad like me, lol. I did actually but in a different way.

Thanks for the input. I will post back here and settle my post once I'm done.
!