Sign in with
Your question

C drive is missing from device manager

Last response: in Storage
September 4, 2010 5:09:21 AM

Hello,
my C (boot) drive is missing from the device manager and "manage" in my computer. It is there in defrag. the computer works fine.
September 5, 2010 10:06:03 PM

aljjr2 said:
Hello,
my C (boot) drive is missing from the device manager and "manage" in my computer. It is there in defrag. the computer works fine.

My computer has exactly the same symptoms. I've had some problems with malware lately, so I'm guessing it might be related to that.
m
l
Related resources
September 6, 2010 9:37:00 AM

Here is a screenshot (Finnish XP) showing Disk Management (top left), Device Manager (top right) and My Computer (Bottom). I have two HDDs, Drive C and Drive D. Drive C is the OS drive. As you can see, the primary drive is shown normally in My Computer, but not in Disk Management or Device Manager. It's also not shown in Drive Properties. Otherwise the PC works normally.

m
l
September 6, 2010 11:26:42 AM

Thank you for the quick post. Do you have 2 physical HDD's or is that a partition 'C' and 'D' ?

B'Rgrds
m
l
September 6, 2010 1:07:42 PM

Two physical HDDs:
Samsung SpinPoint F1 HD753LJ (Drive C - 750Gb)
WD Caviar Black WD1001FALS (Drive D - 1Tb)
m
l
September 6, 2010 1:44:07 PM

UPDATE: I can now confirm that it was indeed caused by malware. I ran the kaspersky TDSSKiller rootkit removing tool and it found "Rootkit.Win32.TDSS.tdl4" at \HardDisk1\MBR. After letting the program fix it and a reboot, both drives are now in Device Manager, Disk Management and Properties. I suppose the thread starter should try this also.
m
l
September 7, 2010 9:03:08 AM

Well, this was absolutely related with a malware.
m
l
!