Sign in with
Your question

Here's a few reasons AMD is not selling more CPU.

Last response: in CPUs
May 23, 2009 3:22:12 PM

No one seem to talk about these reasons at all.
Intel don't have to do anything different AMD's is
cutting there own throats.
May 23, 2009 3:30:55 PM

image fail.

and the only reason why they are failing is because they only have one FAB whereas intel has 4 or something like that.
May 23, 2009 4:17:24 PM

And here I thought it was because of those millions upon millions of dollars spent on advertisement by Intel...
Related resources
May 23, 2009 5:59:14 PM

DT marketshare is currently up for AMD.
I like their pricing on the AMD valued cpu systems. 50% mark-up wont play with AMDs mindset, nor AMD customers, and in the economy, alot of people either, thus AMDs rise in their Market Share in DT as of late
a c 83 à CPUs
a b À AMD
May 23, 2009 6:09:35 PM

AMD isn't selling more because I've already got too many computers as it is, all AMD except my laptop.
a c 108 à CPUs
a b À AMD
May 23, 2009 6:18:23 PM

Quote:
AMD's is cutting there own throats.

Somebody call the grammar police.
May 23, 2009 6:19:43 PM

I think they might also be just investing in those 12 core cpu's they're bringing out next year.

since that's 96 cores in a complete 8 socket board.

can't wait until they come out for the mainstream since they will be pretty much equal to an i7 8 core in 12 threaded apps and then the year after they'll have 16 core cpu's ready.
May 23, 2009 6:25:55 PM

Quote:
"Intel Corp. bumped up its political lobbying during the first quarter as the chip maker battled tougher antitrust scrutiny and regulators in Europe readied a record fine for Intel's sales tactics there, according to a recent disclosure form.

Intel ( INTC - news - people )'s $882,000 in lobbying fees for the January-March period represents a more than 50 percent increase over the same period last year."

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2009/05/22/ap6458387.htm...
May 23, 2009 8:51:11 PM

:pfff:  Please lock this pointless thread.
a b à CPUs
May 23, 2009 9:13:06 PM

He' trying to point out the system builders programs Intel has but AMD doesn't have, and Intel meeting the builders face to face and AMD that doesn't.
May 23, 2009 9:34:04 PM

Well consider the Phenom II start at like 100 dollars where i7 starts at the highest Phenom II prices of around 230 dollars I'd hardly call them the same market to compare.

First amd fails at life due to horrible sales for years during the core 2 duo where only hardcore amd fanboys stuck by amd and their servers :)  and the fact that amd chips have been bigger then intel's chips meaning they have less production in a same size factory really amd is just been shooting it self in their foot scene 2002 imo and intel just decided to kick them when they are down.

The_Blood_Raven said:
And here I thought it was because of those millions upon millions of dollars spent on advertisement by Intel...

I'd say that. Name a amd commercial... and how many people know the Pentium 3 commercials

Really amd has had a weak business strategy while intel pursued more of a cutthroat imma rule this business ...style of business and the difference in power shows.

ofc i have a slight bias for intel now last amd cpu i had was a FX-62 it was a great cpu but years after and builds later i'd moved on.
a b à CPUs
May 23, 2009 9:46:05 PM

Quote:
AMD is doing just fine from my house. Intel is and always will be the darkside!

This from a guy who keeps a bottle of hand lotion next to his keyboard... Seriously, either take a new picture or photoshop it out, LOL.
May 24, 2009 2:39:59 AM

look the top end builders are complaining about AMD as a no show
that not Intels fault, the bottom line is AMD needs to act like they care
and show there face every now and again.
May 24, 2009 2:56:51 AM

Its called overhead. I agree with you. They need to : Have more and better adverts, become more customer centric, as in this case, and most of all, they need better IPC.

Id guess the latter is where their focus is right now, being hamstrung with monies, or lack thereof. But it still doesnt justify these boutique makers, (or this one), to have an overall impression about AMD, while simply disregarding their approach. Youd not likely see many things sold at WalMart that also sell at a fine department store, and you dont see WalMart complaining either tho. Yes, both stores sells the same products in alot of areas, but they dont cost the same either, and thats the point this boutique maker just isnt getting
a b à CPUs
May 24, 2009 6:33:22 AM

soldier37, do you have to post a pic of your rig in every thread you reply to?

@PsychoSaysDie: Quality? I don't think so. When it comes to CPUs quality is not really an issue no matter who you turn to. How many times have you seen a CPU die compared to other hardware?
a c 99 à CPUs
May 24, 2009 1:21:29 PM

Helloworld_98 said:
I think they might also be just investing in those 12 core cpu's they're bringing out next year.

since that's 96 cores in a complete 8 socket board.

can't wait until they come out for the mainstream since they will be pretty much equal to an i7 8 core in 12 threaded apps and then the year after they'll have 16 core cpu's ready.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the Socket G34 chips like the 12-core Opteron are going to be a maximum of 4-way units. AMD is no longer going to make 8-way CPUs any more. But you still can get 48 cores in a four-socket board or 64 if you wait for the next revision (16-core "Interlagos" Opteron in 2011.)
a b à CPUs
May 24, 2009 1:41:00 PM

The_Blood_Raven said:
You realize that the whole surround sound thing only works if you have the rear speakers... in the rear.

I have 4.1 (yes, not 5.1) with them in front of me too :na: 
May 24, 2009 10:03:29 PM

fazers_on_stun said:
This from a guy who keeps a bottle of hand lotion next to his keyboard... Seriously, either take a new picture or photoshop it out, LOL.

Not lotion, Hand sanatizer. Before you assume someone is copying your own practices read the label.
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
May 24, 2009 10:49:07 PM

If any one had bothered to read the articles on the EU antitrust fine they'd have seen it dated from a period years ago when Athlon 64 was king and was close to 50% of the market and gaining since intels own P4 was an oven that could do some calculations .

AMD's recent financial problems probably stem from the failure of the first Phenom quads and the TLB error that rendered them middle of the road instead of cutting edge .
AMD has new finance and a new structure . They are in a good position and I'd be surprised if they arent out selling intel in many market segments .
May 25, 2009 9:45:53 PM

Quote:

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i145/Soldier36/DSC04595ms.jpg

hey is that a mac keyboard is it connected to ur amd pc or is the mac hidden somewhere so ppl cant see it?

i always buy the best cpu for my pc AMD never that overpriced intel crap
May 25, 2009 11:53:26 PM

loneninja said:
AMD isn't selling more because I've already got too many computers as it is, all AMD except my laptop.

Actually that's a nice point ... AMD has NOT approached its usr_base directly with upgrade offers ! Think about it -- they worked hard to catch INTEL ... and now work hard AGAIN to catch up. But, not-once have I got a "DEAR AMD LUSR" letter from ... AMD !

What kind of non-marketing is that !! ? They are treating a $1-K buy like Chapstick. Everybody else I buy specialty from ... Omaha Steaks / Vermont Pottery / Portland Paper ... etc sends me follow-up emails, special offers and promotions. :sol:  NOT duufus AMD !!
May 26, 2009 1:43:23 AM

I haven't gotten a "DEAR INTEL USER" letter from Intel either...

What they are referring to is the AMD booths at major events, or the lack there of. However, I dispute this because look at any custom case showing and notice that they always have AMD supplied CPUs. Different forms of marketing, not worse.
May 26, 2009 7:05:28 AM

Booths costs money. Its great for the few that attend those events, to be able to showcase your product, but theres better options for spending your money.
Unfortunately, its sorta like a rock n a hard place. You need/should do events etc, but your ad budget only allows for so much.
May 26, 2009 7:19:48 AM

Quote:
"Intel has decided to postpone the debut of its new mainstream desktop PC platform, Lynnfield processors ..... Due to the global economic downturn driving down market demand, Intel expects the launch will allow more time for 4-series inventory to deplete."

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20090526PD212.html

It appears that Intel isnt selling so hot either, since this is the second series of cpus thats been delayed, along with Itanium.

May 26, 2009 8:34:18 AM

All i know is i bought a couple thousand dollar's worth of AMD stock when it was a hair under 2$ a share while everyone was touting how i was throwing my money away and now look at there price $4+ dollars a share...yeah baby!
May 26, 2009 8:55:30 AM

Back when the economy first started to tank, I caught tons of flak by saying the economy could be harder on Intel than AMD, by having to keep all those fabs going, by having to move those amounts of product, having all that overhead, including inventory.
Well, it appears the economy isnt being so nice to Intel.
Being smaller, AMD focuses on smaller markets, and lets its overall world market go ahead as before. No new ads, no new TV commercials etc. While Intel continues to have to spend on all this.
Slightly better, controlling markets thru overpricing Atom for netbooks etc isnt working, not in this climate, and it wont soon be forgotten either. i5 being slightly better than C2D wont cut it now. Crippling the low end on i5 wont be looked at as a reasonable alternative anymore. All these marketing things Intel has done in the past will have to change
a c 126 à CPUs
a b À AMD
May 26, 2009 10:03:00 AM

Helloworld_98 said:
image fail.

and the only reason why they are failing is because they only have one FAB whereas intel has 4 or something like that.

No. AMD had 2 FABs. Now they have the GF. Intel has way way more than 4. They have 2 (for sure) or 3 (maybe) in Chandler, AZ alone. World wide Intel has like probably 15 FABs.

Plus their process i normally abkle to mature faster than AMDs and produces better yeilds faster. Chalk that up to experience.

Quote:

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i145/Soldier36/DSC04595ms.jpg

Thats great.... yet again with that pic.....

Funniest thing is I have seen a setup just like that one, exactally that was a Intel setup..... Speakers and everything...... was a while ago.....

While I don't agree (well I don't even know what the OP is talking about) with the OPs way i do know there is always more to the whole "Intel made us unable to get sales" line that AMD puts out there. Considering that AMD didn't have enough to supply a lot of OEMs and the channel it almost makes the rebate theory seem useless. I mean there have been plenty of articles during that time from plenty of OEM system builders who wanted to get AMD chips to make sales but were denied by AMD because either AMD had none left to give or AMD would prefer to get them to the higher end OEM system builders.

TBH, I think too much is left out of the whole thing.....
May 26, 2009 10:05:54 AM

^ and the fact that by the time i5 comes out i7 will be close to a year old so will need price cuts soon.
a b à CPUs
May 26, 2009 11:44:12 AM

I think we need to see more photos of soldier's rig ... just for old times sake.

Perhaps a different angle.

fazers has suggested you hide the hand lotion bottle tho matey ...

http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/13848/1/

i i yikes Phenom

a b à CPUs
May 26, 2009 3:32:24 PM

It came free with the Celeron cpu he bought for his torrent box ... under the table.

Intel are good like that.

They even have warnings on the cpu grease ... not for external use !!
May 26, 2009 4:03:11 PM

The reason why they are selling more is because novice users don't know what AMD is so they go with what they know and they get Intel even if AMD offers a better product.
I had a pic of AMD's logo on my IM and people kept asking me what AMD was, the thing is they barely understand what Intel is except that it is written on almost all the computers that they see.
May 26, 2009 6:31:16 PM

Reynod said:
It came free with the Celeron cpu he bought for his torrent box ... under the table.

Intel are good like that.

They even have warnings on the cpu grease ... not for external use !!

Ha Ha Ha.

Word, Playa.
May 28, 2009 6:41:26 AM

AMD needs to learn how to market and stop being more of a word of mouth about it's performance PERIOD. face it amd sucks are marketing their fanboys do most of the work. Hell when i see commercials about computers it's always an "intel inside" face it intel does the job of actually being a company.

Until AMD spends *** to push their product i can't say i give a jack when they don't sell.

Times i see Intel walking into a store like frys or best buy probably around 10-20 times, times i see amd maybe 1-5 if i got look at laptop section and they even carry a laptop with amd that has the sticker cuz the sticker is all imma get from them.
a c 126 à CPUs
a b À AMD
May 28, 2009 7:19:13 AM

Netherscourge said:
I'm afraid to ask why you have that bottle of lotion next to your PC case...

:pfff: 

Its a bottle of hand sanitizer.... that would hurt TBH.....
a c 126 à CPUs
a b À AMD
May 28, 2009 7:21:26 AM

IzzyCraft said:
AMD needs to learn how to market and stop being more of a word of mouth about it's performance PERIOD. face it amd sucks are marketing their fanboys do most of the work. Hell when i see commercials about computers it's always an "intel inside" face it intel does the job of actually being a company.

Until AMD spends *** to push their product i can't say i give a jack when they don't sell.

Times i see Intel walking into a store like frys or best buy probably around 10-20 times, times i see amd maybe 1-5 if i got look at laptop section and they even carry a laptop with amd that has the sticker cuz the sticker is all imma get from them.

Well this is true.

But AMDs laptop lineup is quite small right now. They still don't have a K10 based laptop chip I am aware of and don't even have a quad for a laptop yet.

Maybe this year will fare better? I mean all the bad news about Intel and the fine is driving their stock pricee up.... sad they rely on bad news for Intel mroe than their own good news....
!