Regarding eSATA.

oops2001

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
Hello,
I need to buy a portable hard drive and I know my MOBO(DG45ID *INTEL*) has an eSATA port. But I am confused with eSATA nd normal USB thing. Are they backward compatible? Will I be able to use eSata on normal USB 2.0 ports? I am lost..please clarify..
thankyou.

Solution
A lot of external hard drives have both an eSATA and a USB connector on them. eSATA is a lot faster then USB 2.0, so it's better to use that with your desktop system. But it's nice to have a USB connector on the drive too so that if you ever need to you can plug it into a system that doesn't have eSATA (a laptop, for example).

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

No, you should get a drive that supports both so that you can have the higher speed at home and the higher compatibility elsewhere.

A lot of external hard drives have both an eSATA and a USB connector on them. eSATA is a lot faster then USB 2.0, so it's better to use that with your desktop system. But it's nice to have a USB connector on the drive too so that if you ever need to you can plug it into a system that doesn't have eSATA (a laptop, for example).

Solution