Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Regarding eSATA.

Last response: in Storage
September 4, 2010 6:20:30 AM

Hello,
I need to buy a portable hard drive and I know my MOBO(DG45ID *INTEL*) has an eSATA port. But I am confused with eSATA nd normal USB thing. Are they backward compatible? Will I be able to use eSata on normal USB 2.0 ports? I am lost..please clarify..
thankyou.

More about : esata

a b G Storage
September 4, 2010 6:29:42 AM

eSATA is another different drive interface. It's a lot faster than USB 2.0. Many external drives support both. They are incompatible.
m
l
September 4, 2010 6:33:16 AM

SO should I stick to normal USB interface for a portable hard drive as I ll be taking data from non-eSata mobo's too.
m
l
Related resources
September 4, 2010 6:49:41 AM

oops2001 said:
SO should I stick to normal USB interface for a portable hard drive as I ll be taking data from non-eSata mobo's too.

No, you should get a drive that supports both so that you can have the higher speed at home and the higher compatibility elsewhere.
m
l

Best solution

a c 415 G Storage
September 4, 2010 6:50:23 AM

A lot of external hard drives have both an eSATA and a USB connector on them. eSATA is a lot faster then USB 2.0, so it's better to use that with your desktop system. But it's nice to have a USB connector on the drive too so that if you ever need to you can plug it into a system that doesn't have eSATA (a laptop, for example).
September 4, 2010 6:55:43 AM

Best answer selected by oops2001.
m
l
September 4, 2010 6:56:23 AM

So I should be looking for an external hard drive that supports esata and usb both.
I guess now I got it,
Thanks a lot guys :) 
m
l
!