Advice required new rig

roosti3

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
Recently replaced the guts of my 939 rig with AM3.

ASUS M4A87TD EVO, Athlon2 X3 445, Corsair CMD4GX3M2B1600C8 Dominator 2 x 2gb 1600, Seasonic SS-600HT 600WPSU, P180, AMD heatsink and fan with artic silver

Been running fine for a few weeks so I had a look at the Asus TurboV Evo software that came with the mobo and tried the auto tuning button. Managed 232 Mhz at 15.5x with one click. I know this is pretty half assed OC'in but thought it was worth a look and is encouraging getting 3.6 GHz from the stock setup.

I had previously tried the core unlock button on the mobo during initial install but it only recognised 3 cores so thought my fourth must have been bad. Decided to try again and now I have an AMD phenom II X4 at 3.6GHz.

This is great news but just wondering if I should be running this at 3.6GHz on the stock AMD fan?

while surfing I am at 35 degC (30degC on sleep mode). Tried using the stability test on the AMD OverDrive software to fire up all 4 cores and it hit 61 degC within only 2 minutes and was still rising so i decided to stop. Playing "world in conflict" (2007 spec RTS game) it is stable at 54 degC.

I am in the process of selling my Scythe Ninja Plus from my 939 rig which seemed to be a big waste of money since I never got round to overclocking that system. Because of this I never bought an aftermarket heatsink for the AM3.

I don't want to damage anything so at the moment I have reverted back to 3.1Ghz at X4 and the stability test temperature stabilises at 58 degC after ten minutes.

So do I need a aftermarket fan? I have 75 degC noted as the max temperature for the CPU but at what temperature should I be aiming to operate at?

The rig is only surfing probably 70% of its life with the rest office applications and medium spec gaming.

jerryl

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2010

Well, I've an Intel i7 930, which runs hot....as processors go it runs hotter and can be run hotter than most processors, and from what I've read 80 is about tops to voluntarily heat up the processor. So using that as a bench of sorts, I'd say that a processor that is less robust when it come to heat generation probably shouldn't approach the i7 limiis. So yest, probably too hot, but just my most humble opinion.

You should be aiming at high 60s or 70-71ish, you should get at least a 4*C head room. But you can actually hit 75, it really just depends for how long. try running prime95 with core temp and check your temps after 1 minute for your max at 3.6. If it's too high then yes you need a aftermarket.