Sign in with
Your question

Brass or steel fittings for the swiftech micro rez?

Last response: in Overclocking
September 14, 2010 9:42:43 PM

http://www.amazon.com/Parker-8MSEL8N-316-Stainless-Comp...

this is what i want to buy,but brass version is MUCH,MUCH cheaper.as i can only shop from amazon.com,i can't get bitspower compression fitting.will this parker compression fitting be able to replace the cheap 1/2'' plastic barbs on the swiftech micro rez? im planning on replacing the plastic barb with that parker compression fitting and 1/2'' o-ring seal and running a tight 7/16'' ID tubing over it after some heating/boiling for virtually no leak system

what is the difference between brass and stainless steel? why the extreme price difference? compared to the $30 steel elbow,the brass version is only $11
http://www.amazon.com/Parker-8MSEL8N-B-Brass-Compressio...

what makes steel so expensive than brass fitting?
a c 100 K Overclocking
September 14, 2010 10:02:38 PM

Brass is cheaper than Stainless, but also less corrosive resistant. If you have different metals in the loop, galvanic corrosion can become an issue.
m
l
September 14, 2010 11:14:29 PM

you do realize these fittings don't have an o-ring that's typically found on computer watercooling barbs/fittings..

it doesn't even say if those fittings are g 1/4 thread or not (which is what's on the swiftech microres..)

also, since it doesn't use an o-ring, you're going to have to use teflon tape to secure it.. that means you're gonna have to be really careful about screwing this in..

I would recommend getting something made for pc watercooling even if it's a bit more expensive.. it will save you heartache in the end.
m
l
a c 86 K Overclocking
September 15, 2010 4:41:15 PM

Yea, the threads are not your normal Lowes or Ace hardware threads.

Your link you show isn't the right ID or OD on the compression fitting, and it's made for copper or very very hard plastic tubing. And the threads are NOT G1/4 where you would screw it in.

Thr difference is the PSI load the part can take. Also the stainless can be used in food environments and some pretty corrosive liquids. Meaning an industrial application, what this stuff is for, not a PC.

Buy two bitspower barbs and two cheap hoseclamps. You don't need comp fittings.

Search for Danger Den too. I tried. Never mind. You gotta get away from Amazon dude. There are MANY great WC stores you can buy from.

m
l
!