Windows Media Player 10 skin and button problems

October 19, 2004 4:06:23 PM

Hey,

I have an Axim X30 and recently upgraded to the latest firware which
included media player 10. I've had some issues when I restore a backup from
a firmware that had media player 9 it breaks the media player 10 skin. A
hard reset fixes this, but I don't feel like installing all my apps again.
So I was wondering if anyone knows how to either reinstall the default skin
that comes with media player 10, or fix the broken one.

The other problem that I have is in the buttons tab in options menu, I can't
assign any of the hardware buttons except the 4way pad and the action
button. When I click assign and then press one of the hardware buttons. eg
Calendar. It goes to the calendar instead of assigning the button to the
media player task.
I had a poke around the registry and found under
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Preferences\ButtonMap
There is a list of buttons and their map. But its in REG_BINARY form and I
have no idea what the values of each button would be is. Maybe it could be
in an sdk somewhere, but I haven't found anything yet.

So to me, this looks like an actual bug in media player 10, where the skins
problem seems to be more of a problem of using old settings from media
player 9.

Has anyone experienced these problems?

-Joel
Anonymous
October 19, 2004 4:06:24 PM

Hi - I don't know for sure cause I've got an X3i and Dell won't let me
upgrade :-p ... However, I'll ask somebody who does know and get
back to you asap.

Are there any other apps you can try which use button reassignment ?
It might help to tell if this is a 2003SE problem, a problem with the
Dell implementation of the upgrade, or a problem with WMP10 itself.

Cheers - Neil

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 12:06:23 +1000, "Joel Pearson" <pearj@writeme.com>
wrote:

>Hey,
>
>I have an Axim X30 and recently upgraded to the latest firware which
>included media player 10. I've had some issues when I restore a backup from
>a firmware that had media player 9 it breaks the media player 10 skin. A
>hard reset fixes this, but I don't feel like installing all my apps again.
>So I was wondering if anyone knows how to either reinstall the default skin
>that comes with media player 10, or fix the broken one.
>
>The other problem that I have is in the buttons tab in options menu, I can't
>assign any of the hardware buttons except the 4way pad and the action
>button. When I click assign and then press one of the hardware buttons. eg
>Calendar. It goes to the calendar instead of assigning the button to the
>media player task.
>I had a poke around the registry and found under
>HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Preferences\ButtonMap
>There is a list of buttons and their map. But its in REG_BINARY form and I
>have no idea what the values of each button would be is. Maybe it could be
>in an sdk somewhere, but I haven't found anything yet.
>
>So to me, this looks like an actual bug in media player 10, where the skins
>problem seems to be more of a problem of using old settings from media
>player 9.
>
>Has anyone experienced these problems?
>
>-Joel

Anonymous
October 19, 2004 4:06:24 PM

OK I've been digging about in the DK documentation (its a long, deep
dig too !) This page lists compatibility information but doesn't say
anything about a schema change (WMP9 text-file skins to XML skins as
used by the desktop media player for example)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/libr...

In fact, it seems the Skin definition files for WMP10 use the same
syntax as for WMP9, just that a few extra functions have been added.
None of this should break your WMP9 skin AFAIK, so I guess it's
possible it was a dud, and happened to work on WMP9.

What happens if you get the original skin file, and try to load it
into WMP10 ? Does it barf, or is it only the one from the backup which
causes this ?

More skin documentation is to be found here :
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/libr...

I'm still looking at the 'buttons' thing, as MS seem to have included
'new' button functionality.

wrote:

>Hey,
>
>I have an Axim X30 and recently upgraded to the latest firware which
>included media player 10. I've had some issues when I restore a backup from
>a firmware that had media player 9 it breaks the media player 10 skin. A
>hard reset fixes this, but I don't feel like installing all my apps again.
>So I was wondering if anyone knows how to either reinstall the default skin
>that comes with media player 10, or fix the broken one.
>
>The other problem that I have is in the buttons tab in options menu, I can't
>assign any of the hardware buttons except the 4way pad and the action
>button. When I click assign and then press one of the hardware buttons. eg
>Calendar. It goes to the calendar instead of assigning the button to the
>media player task.
>I had a poke around the registry and found under
>HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Preferences\ButtonMap
>There is a list of buttons and their map. But its in REG_BINARY form and I
>have no idea what the values of each button would be is. Maybe it could be
>in an sdk somewhere, but I haven't found anything yet.
>
>So to me, this looks like an actual bug in media player 10, where the skins
>problem seems to be more of a problem of using old settings from media
>player 9.
>
>Has anyone experienced these problems?
>
>-Joel

October 19, 2004 11:03:24 PM

Right then here's the plot : Turns out the docs are wrong so there's
nothing inherent in the skins implementation which would cause a skin
to make this failure. So, dunno there.

About the hardware buttons, MS said the implementation of the button
mapping side of stuff was left as optional to the providers of the
WM10 package, that's Dell.

It was 'thought' that the buttons being mapped to media player when it
was in the foreground, and then other apps when it was running in the
background was confusing for users, so it was left to the Dell team to
make that decision, and I guess they decided against offering all
buttons to control the player :-P This makes it a Dell specific device
problem.

The slightly better news is, it could be fixed by them with a very
small download (dll) file, whether they will or not, who knows. Also
the implementation of the player hooks is such that an enterprising
developer could offer the remap function without too much additional
programming, which leaves this open to 3rd party developers to fixup.

I'd suggest getting in touch with Philippe Majerus at www.pjm.lu and
see if he has an extensions planned in the pipeline for his many cool
PPC programs & extensions.

HTH

wrote:

>Hey,
>
>I have an Axim X30 and recently upgraded to the latest firware which
>included media player 10. I've had some issues when I restore a backup from
>a firmware that had media player 9 it breaks the media player 10 skin. A
>hard reset fixes this, but I don't feel like installing all my apps again.
>So I was wondering if anyone knows how to either reinstall the default skin
>that comes with media player 10, or fix the broken one.
>
>The other problem that I have is in the buttons tab in options menu, I can't
>assign any of the hardware buttons except the 4way pad and the action
>button. When I click assign and then press one of the hardware buttons. eg
>Calendar. It goes to the calendar instead of assigning the button to the
>media player task.
>I had a poke around the registry and found under
>HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Preferences\ButtonMap
>There is a list of buttons and their map. But its in REG_BINARY form and I
>have no idea what the values of each button would be is. Maybe it could be
>in an sdk somewhere, but I haven't found anything yet.
>
>So to me, this looks like an actual bug in media player 10, where the skins
>problem seems to be more of a problem of using old settings from media
>player 9.
>
>Has anyone experienced these problems?
>
>-Joel

Anonymous
October 20, 2004 6:21:45 PM

Hey,

I managed to fix the skin problem, some registry keys got munged when I went
restored a backup from an older firmware. So what I did was export the
registry keys for windows media player and re-import them after I restored
the backup from the older firmware.

I still haven't gotten around assigning buttons though.

-Joel
"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" <neil@nospam.com> wrote in message
> OK I've been digging about in the DK documentation (its a long, deep
> dig too !) This page lists compatibility information but doesn't say
> anything about a schema change (WMP9 text-file skins to XML skins as
> used by the desktop media player for example)
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/libr...
>
> In fact, it seems the Skin definition files for WMP10 use the same
> syntax as for WMP9, just that a few extra functions have been added.
> None of this should break your WMP9 skin AFAIK, so I guess it's
> possible it was a dud, and happened to work on WMP9.
>
> What happens if you get the original skin file, and try to load it
> into WMP10 ? Does it barf, or is it only the one from the backup which
> causes this ?
>
> More skin documentation is to be found here :
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/libr...
>
> I'm still looking at the 'buttons' thing, as MS seem to have included
> 'new' button functionality.
>
> Cheers - Neil
>
> On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 12:06:23 +1000, "Joel Pearson" <pearj@writeme.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Hey,
>>
>>I have an Axim X30 and recently upgraded to the latest firware which
>>included media player 10. I've had some issues when I restore a backup
>>from
>>a firmware that had media player 9 it breaks the media player 10 skin. A
>>hard reset fixes this, but I don't feel like installing all my apps again.
>>So I was wondering if anyone knows how to either reinstall the default
>>skin
>>that comes with media player 10, or fix the broken one.
>>
>>The other problem that I have is in the buttons tab in options menu, I
>>can't
>>assign any of the hardware buttons except the 4way pad and the action
>>button. When I click assign and then press one of the hardware buttons.
>>eg
>>Calendar. It goes to the calendar instead of assigning the button to the
>>media player task.
>>I had a poke around the registry and found under
>>HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Preferences\ButtonMap
>>There is a list of buttons and their map. But its in REG_BINARY form and
>>have no idea what the values of each button would be is. Maybe it could
>>be
>>in an sdk somewhere, but I haven't found anything yet.
>>
>>So to me, this looks like an actual bug in media player 10, where the
>>skins
>>problem seems to be more of a problem of using old settings from media
>>player 9.
>>
>>Has anyone experienced these problems?
>>
>>-Joel

October 20, 2004 6:21:46 PM

Could you give me some more details about how you fixed this problem.

"Joel Pearson" wrote:

> [...]
> >>can't
> >>assign any of the hardware buttons except the 4way pad and the action
> >>button. When I click assign and then press one of the hardware buttons.
> >>eg
> >>Calendar. It goes to the calendar instead of assigning the button to the
> >>media player task.
> >>I had a poke around the registry and found under
> >>HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Preferences\ButtonMap
> >>There is a list of buttons and their map. But its in REG_BINARY form and
> >>have no idea what the values of each button would be is. Maybe it could
> >>be
> >>in an sdk somewhere, but I haven't found anything yet.
> >>
> >>So to me, this looks like an actual bug in media player 10, where the
> >>skins
> >>problem seems to be more of a problem of using old settings from media

Anonymous
October 20, 2004 6:21:46 PM

Nice work fella. Don't suppose you happen to know the reg keys - could
be useful in future requests like this.

Cheers - Neil

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 14:21:45 +1000, "Joel Pearson" <pearj@writeme.com>
wrote:

> [...]
>>>can't
>>>assign any of the hardware buttons except the 4way pad and the action
>>>button. When I click assign and then press one of the hardware buttons.
>>>eg
>>>Calendar. It goes to the calendar instead of assigning the button to the
>>>media player task.
>>>I had a poke around the registry and found under
>>>HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Preferences\ButtonMap
>>>There is a list of buttons and their map. But its in REG_BINARY form and
>>>have no idea what the values of each button would be is. Maybe it could
>>>be
>>>in an sdk somewhere, but I haven't found anything yet.
>>>
>>>So to me, this looks like an actual bug in media player 10, where the
>>>skins
>>>problem seems to be more of a problem of using old settings from media

October 20, 2004 6:21:47 PM

How do you get access to the registry? I would realy like to get media player
10 up and running again on my Axim.....

"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" wrote:

> Nice work fella. Don't suppose you happen to know the reg keys - could
> be useful in future requests like this.
>
> Cheers - Neil
>
> On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 14:21:45 +1000, "Joel Pearson" <pearj@writeme.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Hey,
> >
> >I managed to fix the skin problem, some registry keys got munged when I went
> >restored a backup from an older firmware. So what I did was export the
> >registry keys for windows media player and re-import them after I restored
> >the backup from the older firmware.
> >
> >I still haven't gotten around assigning buttons though.
> >
> >-Joel
> >"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" <neil@nospam.com> wrote in message
> >> OK I've been digging about in the DK documentation (its a long, deep
> >> dig too !) This page lists compatibility information but doesn't say
> >> anything about a schema change (WMP9 text-file skins to XML skins as
> >> used by the desktop media player for example)
> >>
> >> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/libr...
> >>
> >> In fact, it seems the Skin definition files for WMP10 use the same
> >> syntax as for WMP9, just that a few extra functions have been added.
> >> None of this should break your WMP9 skin AFAIK, so I guess it's
> >> possible it was a dud, and happened to work on WMP9.
> >>
> >> What happens if you get the original skin file, and try to load it
> >> into WMP10 ? Does it barf, or is it only the one from the backup which
> >> causes this ?
> >>
> >> More skin documentation is to be found here :
> >> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/libr...
> >>
> >> I'm still looking at the 'buttons' thing, as MS seem to have included
> >> 'new' button functionality.
> >>
> >> Cheers - Neil

Anonymous
October 20, 2004 6:28:23 PM

Grr why do dell have to be so stupid sometimes. I'll log a support ticket
and see what happens.

> [...]
>>can't
>>assign any of the hardware buttons except the 4way pad and the action
>>button. When I click assign and then press one of the hardware buttons.
>>eg
>>Calendar. It goes to the calendar instead of assigning the button to the
>>media player task.
>>I had a poke around the registry and found under
>>HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Preferences\ButtonMap
>>There is a list of buttons and their map. But its in REG_BINARY form and
>>have no idea what the values of each button would be is. Maybe it could
>>be
>>in an sdk somewhere, but I haven't found anything yet.
>>
>>So to me, this looks like an actual bug in media player 10, where the
>>skins
>>problem seems to be more of a problem of using old settings from media

Anonymous
October 20, 2004 7:56:12 PM

How did you find out the information about how microsoft left it up to Dell
to control how windows media player 10 could assign hardware buttons?

> [...]
>>can't
>>assign any of the hardware buttons except the 4way pad and the action
>>button. When I click assign and then press one of the hardware buttons.
>>eg
>>Calendar. It goes to the calendar instead of assigning the button to the
>>media player task.
>>I had a poke around the registry and found under
>>HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Preferences\ButtonMap
>>There is a list of buttons and their map. But its in REG_BINARY form and
>>have no idea what the values of each button would be is. Maybe it could
>>be
>>in an sdk somewhere, but I haven't found anything yet.
>>
>>So to me, this looks like an actual bug in media player 10, where the
>>skins
>>problem seems to be more of a problem of using old settings from media

Anonymous
October 20, 2004 7:56:13 PM

One side effect of being an MVP is you can get fast-tracked.
IE I phoned somebody at MS who knew the answer.

Cheers - Neil

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 15:56:12 +1000, "Joel Pearson" <pearj@writeme.com>
wrote:

> [...]
>>>can't
>>>assign any of the hardware buttons except the 4way pad and the action
>>>button. When I click assign and then press one of the hardware buttons.
>>>eg
>>>Calendar. It goes to the calendar instead of assigning the button to the
>>>media player task.
>>>I had a poke around the registry and found under
>>>HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Preferences\ButtonMap
>>>There is a list of buttons and their map. But its in REG_BINARY form and
>>>have no idea what the values of each button would be is. Maybe it could
>>>be
>>>in an sdk somewhere, but I haven't found anything yet.
>>>
>>>So to me, this looks like an actual bug in media player 10, where the
>>>skins
>>>problem seems to be more of a problem of using old settings from media

Anonymous
October 20, 2004 8:48:33 PM

PHMRegEdit : http://www.phm.lu/Products/PocketPC/RegEdit/

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 08:47:02 -0700, "EJ"
<EJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>How do you get access to the registry? I would realy like to get media player
>10 up and running again on my Axim.....
>
>"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" wrote:
>
>> Nice work fella. Don't suppose you happen to know the reg keys - could
>> be useful in future requests like this.
>>
>> Cheers - Neil
>>
>> On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 14:21:45 +1000, "Joel Pearson" <pearj@writeme.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Hey,
>> >
>> >I managed to fix the skin problem, some registry keys got munged when I went
>> >restored a backup from an older firmware. So what I did was export the
>> >registry keys for windows media player and re-import them after I restored
>> >the backup from the older firmware.
>> >
>> >I still haven't gotten around assigning buttons though.
>> >
>> >-Joel
>> >"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" <neil@nospam.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
October 26, 2004 6:17:17 PM

PHM registry editor isn't very useful in this situation because it can't
import registry files (it can import the entire registry). It can export
branches of the registry but the person developing PHMRegEdit never finished
it. Which is really quite annoying because it is so close to being useful,
but missing the ablility to import registry files renders it almost useless.

Ok so not quite useless, its still good for editing the registry by hand,
but thats it.

So I searched around and stumbled on TascalRegEdit which is also free
http://www.freewareppc.com/utilities/tascalregedit.shtm...

> PHMRegEdit : http://www.phm.lu/Products/PocketPC/RegEdit/
>
> On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 08:47:02 -0700, "EJ"
> <EJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>How do you get access to the registry? I would realy like to get media
>>player
>>10 up and running again on my Axim.....
>>
>>"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" wrote:
>>
>>> Nice work fella. Don't suppose you happen to know the reg keys - could
>>> be useful in future requests like this.
>>>
>>> Cheers - Neil

Anonymous
March 3, 2005 5:17:03 PM

Could you find out what the binary value should be to map one of the four
"unmappable" buttons (Calendar, Addr. Book, Mail, Home)?

Anybody out there with another brand or model PocketPC that will allow you
to do the mapping? You can look up the value after doing the mapping.

Just a thought.

Thanks.

!