Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Would a Dual Layer DVD disc be read by a DVD-ROM only?

Last response: in Storage
September 4, 2010 11:24:51 PM

Hello everyone,

We have two computers, a desktop and a laptop. The desktop has only an old DVD-Rom/CD-RW optical drive so it cannot burn to DVD, it can only read DVD but I don't know if it can read Dual Layer.
The laptop has a DVD-R/RW/RAM/DL/CD-R/RW Multi optical drive, so it can Burn to DVD-R, RW, Dual Layer, RAM discs.
So here is the point, from the laptop I will burn a large file to a Dual Layer DVD disc. So now I want to read the Dual Layer DVD disc to my desktop, my question is will it read it? :)  Oh, my desktop's DVD drive is Lite-On DVD C LH52C1P ATA device.

Thanks!
a b D Laptop
a c 415 G Storage
September 5, 2010 12:57:35 AM

Dual layer DVDs were part of the original DVD standard, so every drive should be capable of reading them.

But recordable DVDs were not part of the original standard, and they're less reflective than commercially-pressed discs. Very old drives may have difficulties reading them.
a b G Storage
September 6, 2010 10:17:35 PM

DVD ROM can read DUAL layer. Yes your Desktop should read your Dual Layer disc programmed from your notebook.

Quick check: DVD movies are dual layer. If your DVD ROM can play original DVD discs then it can read the dual layers discs you program from the notebook.

I record videos on DVD dual layer discs and it can be read by my old PCS DVD ROM and it play on any DVD standalone player.

Related resources

Best solution

September 6, 2010 11:20:27 PM

Lite-on says on the LH-52C1P: Features
"DVD read compliant: DVD single/dual layer (PTP/OTP), DVD-R(3.9GB/4.7GB), DVD-R multi-borders, DVD+R, DVD+R multi-sessions, DVD-RW, and DVD+RW"

September 10, 2010 8:17:42 AM

Best answer selected by mjyumping.
September 10, 2010 8:21:42 AM

thanks 1haplo that info is found in the liteon website and when you search for the product. :) 
leon2006 has also a good point but 1haplo's answer is based on the spec.
!