Sign in with
Your question

No boot-up with 4x1 GB on P5B Deluxe Help Needed

Last response: in Motherboards
July 31, 2009 3:43:05 PM

Hi. I have a P5B Deluxe board that I assembled into a PC two years ago. I had 2x1 GB or Corsair DDR2-800C4 and it worked just fine.

I just bought another twin pair of Corsair DDR2-800C4 but the PC doesn't boot up. It either remains black with no activity, or a splash Azuz image shows up but freezed. I managed to make it work with 3 sticks but not with the four.

Sometimes it tells me during start up that my "overclocking sets are wrong" or something like that and it doesn't go past that. I did have two profiles saved on my board, one of them an overclock profile. I now have the bios set for depault and I have updated the BIOS because I read that some memmory problems had been solved with the latest versions.

Maybe there is a problem with my saved profiles? I have now both saved with default settings because I cannot erase the profiles. Do I need to clear the CMOS or something like that?

Any help would be extremely welcome.

July 31, 2009 4:26:29 PM

I would try:

1: clearing the cmos

2: update the bios

3: test each stick of ram individually in memtest...

other than that you might have a problem with your memory controller
July 31, 2009 4:48:37 PM

Check your memory specs because it is likely to be a voltage issue.
If it is this stuff for example:
http://www.corsair.com/_datasheets/TWIN2X2048-6400C4.pd...
you will need to manually set the vdimm to 2.1v to get all four sticks to work.
... so put 2 sticks in, set the voltage, then put the next 2 in...
Related resources
July 31, 2009 5:27:00 PM

fpsdominator:

I already had updated the Bios and the mem modules and slots are fine.

MMclachlan:

I'll try that.

July 31, 2009 6:08:36 PM

Didn't work. Remains dead...
July 31, 2009 6:15:16 PM

The other thing to try is upping the voltage on the northbridge. This is normally called NB voltage on Asus boards. Not sure what the default voltage is for a 965 chipset - think its around 1.25v, but try upping this in increments up to about 1.35v and see if you have any joy. Keep the ram volts at 2.1v.
July 31, 2009 6:46:18 PM

OK, I'll try that later. I will also retry checking both mem sticks again just in case I made a mistake while trying both before.

Thank you.
!