Dual Xeon PSU with SMBus support?

jazzop

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
I'm building a dual Xeon system based on the ASUS Z8PE-D12X board. I am having a very hard time finding a PSU that fulfills all of my desires. I will break my general frustration into three areas:

1. Energy Efficiency

Where are all the 80 Plus Gold PSUs? The 80 Plus website lists 39 Gold-certified models, and not a single one of them is even mentioned on their manufacturers websites or for sale at third-party vendors! Were these all one-off prototypes that were tweaked just to so that the manufacturer could claim to have earned a gold certification? I am not obsessed with finding an 80 Plus Gold PSU, per se, but I do want a high level of efficiency. And before anyone raises the argument that efficiency ratings are misleading because the test conditions are not the same as normal use, my system will be running at near 100% CPU usage and at full power 24/7/365-- so, yes, these ratings are very relevant to me.

2. Dual 12V 8-pin connectors

I am not going to spend over $250 on a PSU and then have to jury-rig the connectors to power both my CPUs. Why on earth is it so hard to find PSUs with TWO 8-pin 12V connectors???

3. SMBus connector

Does anyone make any PSUs with the 5-pin SMBus connector, as specified by the SSI EPS12V standard?

http://www.pcpower.com/downloads/EPS12VSpec2_91.pdf

My system board has this capability, and I would like to take advantage of it. My searches have turned up nothing except for industrial PSUs for things like medical equipment.

In summary, my "dream" PSU will be:
Fully EPS12V compliant
>= 1000W
Energy Star 5.0 or 80 Plus Gold or some other high standard-compliant
SLI ready
Active PFC
SMBus capable
Partially Modular (24-pin and dual 8-pin not necessary)
>= Four 12V rails

theAnimal

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
Enermax Revolution 1050W is closest to your wish list, 80Plus Silver, modular, 8 x 6+2 PCIe connectors, 2 x 8 pin, 6 12V rails.

Since the SMBus connector is optional, it is unlikely to be found on any consumer PSUs.

ArmitageZ

Reputable
Jan 24, 2016
Is it required to have a PSU connected to the SMBUS connector on the motherboard?
I have a 5520UR motherboard and have a raidmax consumer PSU newly built workstation PC but for some reason whenever I turn on my PC all I get is a black screen and cannot figure it out. Could it be because my PSU is not connected to the SMBUS port/pins on the motherboard?

jazzop

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
Wow, what a blast from the past. I ended up using an Enermax Revolution 85+ and I gave up on the SMBus feature. It seems to be on the way out, unless you want to use true LOM hardware and management features.

I don't think the lack of SMBus has anything to do with your problem, unless you are trying to startup a cold machine remotely through LOM. The most obvious thing to check is that all connections are firmly seated.

ArmitageZ

Reputable
Jan 24, 2016
Thanks, I think running non ECC ram is my issue, since the User manual sucks on the Intel 5520UR mobo and no direct answer how to properly install the front panel chassis connectors to get power. I am guessing its just the Ram.. I also get 3 beeps and no start up screen.

jazzop

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
I don't know anything about that board, but be sure whether it requires ECC or supports ECC. Then you must be sure about registered or non-registered ECC RAM. In my experience, about half of the server boards require ECC and the other half support ECC as an option. If you can't find good documentation, check the BIOS for an ECC setting. If you have the option to tell the BIOS whether ECC RAM is installed, then there's a good chance that it is optional.