SATA Drive not showing in bios

jerryl

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2010
hi. sorry for the double post, i posted this in the bios section but wasn't sure which was right....

Hello,

My 1TB seagate is not showing up as a SATA device, even though it shows on the flash startup screen and is accessible in windows. What's up with that? Anyone know? I have a P6X58D-E, Rev 0108.

Now the DVD shows up there.

Odd thing, when the flash screen goes by it show the drive speed a 3G even though it is connected, I think to a 6G connector.

Is there someway to make it show as a SATA device? Is this a problem? The system runs great, though if it is at 3G instead of 6G I guess I'd like to fix that.

blackmancer

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2008
its no problem, your 1TB drive wont go anywhere near maxing a SATA3G connection. and by the sounds its hooked up to a hdd controller not in the south bridge itself like a Marvell controller or something. and i'm sure those drives never show up in BIOS only from the ICH10R?? in the south bridge

jerryl

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2010

Okay, thank you.

There was an option to load a marvel controller, but that seemed ot indicated it was for RAID, which I do not believe I am running.

You say an hdd controller, that would still be a sata connection right? I mean it is the only connections available.

what do you think I should do? Load a Marvel driver?

Your HD isn't 6GB SATA, so connect it to a blue SATA connector (Intel controller) and it should appear in BIOS.

The Marvel controller is used to provide 6GB support. I wouldn't bother to load any drivers (other than those loaded automatically during Windows installation).

RAID arrays can be created using either controller, but the methods (and perhaps options) are different for each controller. Since you are not using RAID, don't worry about them.