jahnah

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
Not sure if this is the right forum (really sorry if it isnt and also my english is lacking.)

Basically I have this VGA monitor (17" LCD dell) and like I have a asus HD 4850 512mb and I need to use a DVI to VGA adapter so I do everything, plug them in, start up the PC i see the boot option, then suddenly everything goes pixelated and i see 3 red lines around 2-3 cm thick going down my screen i see the windows vista(64-bit) bar thingy moving from left to right, still i see pixalted grey dots, the 3 red bars, all going from top to bottom of my screen, then it stops loading, black screen, followed by the blue screen of death then memory loading and it restarts up, and tells me windows vista have recovered from a crash, and asks me if i want to run it in safemode, so i do and i am able to get into as normal, but everytime try to go to anything other than safemode and bio's i get the blue screen of death.
I rang up the guy who made my pc and he told me to push the graphics card in, that didnt help, he asked me to take the power connector out and start it up, i did it showed me the "no graphics card power thingy is plugged in" but it was distorted and pixelated and flashing pink and red, he then asked me to check the bio's everything was well the same as when he shipped it to me, he even set it to defaults and still it didnt help, he asked me to check the adaptor and asked me if anything was bent and i told him it was twisted, then he said that is probably my problem but after closer inspection.. it seems like they are supposed to be twisted to fit in.. my friend also checked hers and her one is also twisted and she had just taken it out of her pc/monitor. another note, after looking on ebay and everything i see 15 pin dvi to vga but the dvi bit is different that mine (i have 10 pins and a line on the adaptor) can anyone else suggest anything? or should i just go along with buying a dvi to vga adaptor.

really sorry for the wall of text, spelling mistakes and typos.

I need to recap here. Tell me if I got this right:

You just bought this PC, but you already owned the monitor.

You plugged the monitor in using a DVI to VGA adapter.

When you boot you get input, but you have 3 steady red vertical bars on the screen, plus various other distortions. Eventually Vista crashes.

The guy who built your computer told you to check that the video card was seated well, and it was. He thinks your adapter is bad.

You say it is "twisted" but this makes no sense to me. You cannot twist an adapter, they are very solid:

ADP-3760.jpg

jahnah

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
well all the guy asked me was if the pins in the adaptor was twisted... and i said yes... because they were natrually twisted (like in the picture you posted)

really sorry if my english is bad >.<

jahnah

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
ah thank you i'll try that and if it does not work i'll return the pc to the guy and let him sort it out.