HELP! Corsair H50 died - need an AIR cooler that will fit

chedderslam1976

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2008
A couple of weeks ago I started having problems with my video card. Pulled it and there was something on it that looked like it had melted and hardened. Wasn't sure what it was. Well it fried the card.

I just noticed that my cpu temps were in the 90's under load. I pulled the Corsair H50 and it is leaking. Guess it went bad. That melted sticky stuff must have been thermal compound.

So i need a an AIR cooler that will fit my case. It's a large mountain mods case, but I only have just under 6 inches from the top of the cpu to the side of the case. What is the best AIR cooler that will fit?

I originally purchased a Dark Knight when I bought the computer, but it was too tall and so I went with the H50.

After this mishap I just want the best air that will fit. I would like to OC as much as possible and I fold with the cpu, so I would like something high end.

Help! My computer is down until I get this fixed and I only have my roommates laptop until then.
:eek:

For cereals, that is a very nice case!

Any of Davcon's would be a good choice, not sure if it will fit, but the Hyper 212+ is also a good budget cooler, I've heard easy fits with this cooler fitting it most mid-towers, but yours isn't the case soo.... Quite possibly it won't, but I'm pretty sure it will.

As for another cooler, (probably won't fit, much larger than the Hyper 212+) the Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B, great cooling and way quieter than the Hyper 212+. However, I think that the most assured fit is Davcon's Scythe choices.

Hyper 212+ review: http://www.guru3d.com/article/cooler-master-hyper-212-plus-review/7

I chose just to show you this review because of my two suggestions, I think the Hyper 212+ would fit the best.

Stuff fails, but maybe XMS can answer a 2-part question that's been bothering us:

Is pump rpm monitored and reported as 3-pin fans do?

If so, when the pump fails does reported rpm fall to zero even if the unit's fan is still running?

We believe the answer is "No", and so would ask "Isn't that a dangerous issue for these units?

In any case, thanks for showing up here.

Sorry, not Yellowbeard.
Yes, the pump RPM's are monitored just like a 3 pin fans RPM's.
The pump and fan are powered and monitored seperately ( unless they are on a 3 pin splitter :pfff: ) , so yes, the pump can fail while the fan continue's to operate.
The idea is to have the pump attached to the cpu_fan header so that a warning will be given if the pump does fail.

No top-rated, full-size cooler is going to fit in that case.

Since the choices are restricted to second tier, one of the objections to self-contained liquid is removed.

The Corsair H50 does include separate 3-pin motherboard connectors for the pump and for the fan. Presumably this means rpm can be reported separately to the mobo. So if one connector is attached to cpu fan, and the other attached to another 3-pin mobo connector, and if you can set the alarms to warn you when either fails, then the second problem I've been concerned about goes away.

So, in your situation, if you want good cooling, buy a Corsair H70 and put aside your previous bad experience.

TRENDING THREADS