Sign in with
Your question

Weird upgrade problem ASUS M4A78 pro, AMD phenom 550

Last response: in Motherboards
August 1, 2009 8:57:31 AM

Hi to you all,

I have this strange problem with the M4A78 pro board.
Currently it runs without a glitch sporting a AMD 6400 x2, 4 gigs of 800 mhz RAm (Kingston 2 sticks of 2 gb).
Now i bought the AMD Phenom 550 x2, but when I pop it in, it doesn't post (no video signal, no beep. I do see the CD-rom responding and my hard disk spins up though)
Suspecting the CPU is a bit more power hungry, I detached my PCI-E card (asus 3400) and all of the none essential hdd's (had 6 running in there) and left only my OS disk.
Alas no go.
Did anybody encounter any similar problems, and if so, what was the solution?
I suspect it will only run with 1066 mhz memory, but before i run of and go get it, i'd like to make sure.

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.
August 1, 2009 8:59:38 AM

jangerm said:
Hi to you all,

I have this strange problem with the M4A78 pro board.
Currently it runs without a glitch sporting a AMD 6400 x2, 4 gigs of 800 mhz RAm (Kingston 2 sticks of 2 gb).
Now i bought the AMD Phenom 550 x2, but when I pop it in, it doesn't post (no video signal, no beep. I do see the CD-rom responding and my hard disk spins up though)
Suspecting the CPU is a bit more power hungry, I detached my PCI-E card (asus 3400) and all of the none essential hdd's (had 6 running in there) and left only my OS disk.
Alas no go.
Did anybody encounter any similar problems, and if so, what was the solution?
I suspect it will only run with 1066 mhz memory, but before i run of and go get it, i'd like to make sure.

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

PS: when I pop the old proc back in it runs again as smooth as a baby's bottom...Oh and i have the latest bios update, so that's not it either.
August 1, 2009 6:08:11 PM

Go to Asus website and look at the cpu compatability list, cmon man you should have done that before you purchased.
See if your board supports Phenom 2 550's. If it does then you must have the wrong bios.
You dont need new memory.
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
August 1, 2009 6:27:21 PM

That board definitely supports your Phenom 550 x2 and I think the Phenom uses less power than the 6400 (125W, I believe).

I suspect you're right about a memory upgrade. AMD shows the M4A78T-E as being compatible with the Phenom 550 and that MB takes a minimum of 1066 Mhz memory.
Hopefully, others will post their thoughts/ experiences.
a b V Motherboard
August 1, 2009 6:35:16 PM

Sorry

Phenom IIX2 550 (HDZ550WFK2DGI),3.1GHz,80W,rev.C2,SocketAM3,Dual-Core ALL 0905
If your motherboard BIOS version number is greater than the BIOS version listed above, then you will not need to flash your BIOS. However, if your BIOS version is smaller than the version listed above, then you will need to select and download the latest BIOS to update your system. We kindly remind you that there is a certain risk level involved in BIOS flashing, please refer to "BIOS Flashing Method ". If you still have doubts, we will strongly advise you to consult with a PC Professional or your PC dealer for further assistance.
How to Check Your BIOS

Download Latest BIOS

Version 1303 2009/07/20 update

OS All

Description M4A78 PRO BIOS 1303
Support new CPUs. Please refer to our website at: http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx

August 1, 2009 7:33:45 PM

Ok Thanks for the help guys,

I did mention I got the latest bios, and that I looked up the compatibility goes without saying (I hope).
this is definitly noy my fist upgrade guys ;-)

My guess is that the memory on 800 mhz is the problem but the mobo manual, faq etc indicates nowhere that you have to use the 550 in conjunction with 1066, so theoraticly it should be fine you'd say.

I have the 1303 bios b.tw. in case you're wondering, don't believe my 800 mhz mem is on the QVL, but it's kingston and has done the job so far.

I've ordered 4 gigs of qvl memory, in the meantime i guess i'll try to fiddle with the bank config since i've seen some weird remarks in the qvl about mem which need to be set in pair in a bank were others need to be in different banks...

I'll keep you posted.

August 13, 2009 8:59:10 AM

i just got the asus m4a78 pro and a phenom 9600 and i can tell you, unless its an issue with the new phenom 2, its not the 800Mhz memory.

I am running 2x2GB of OCZ gold in mine and i could post and boot, i beleive i have a bad CPU though as i am getting BSD and reboots. all of which seem to be random...access the CD rom and reboot...extract the contents of a zip file and it has an error 2% in and the next time you try the same file, not a glitch.

The BSD's i am seeing are random too....one was ntfs.sys the next was a service. dropped my old 4400 in it and no problem. i did get a new OCZ heatsink that has the CPU running the same temp as the case temp reported so its not a heat issue either (max of 95F).

if you find what is causing your issue post it so i can compare to mine.

oh btw i also flashed the bios from the shipped version of 1005 the the newest (1303).
September 16, 2009 5:20:53 PM

Well I got a sort of stable system so far running on 800 mhz though.
Still every once in a while it hangs up again on start, then when i restart (a reboot sometimes works as well) all is well again and the system is rock stable once in windows.
Any attemp for a hardware change ends in a dance around with the memory sticks and several reboots, before it is once more....rock stable.
Weird right?
So far I'm not to bothered with the 800 mhz limit since a Phenom II X2 550 has a max core of 800 mhz, but what pisses me really of is that any attemp on some playing with bios setting results in the same anoying boot problem.
Clear CMOS doesn't guarantuee either that the board boots, so you end up with a case constanly open so you can clear the cmos once more.
It is that I don't have the money right now , or i'd switch.

September 25, 2009 7:16:17 PM

i found my problem...the auto setting does not seem to get the proper voltage to the RAM. if i set it to 1.9v then it works fine. Also i found a problem with one of the blue screens of death is related to audio driver..upgraded and it all works fine now except for my LAN. that only works in express agate...once i boot into windows i get a automatic private IP address. i think its a bios issue for the LAN and possible the voltage also...although with my old 440 and a buddy's phenom x4 9500 (i have a 9600) it works fine without have to tweak the voltage settings.

yours sounds like a different issue though...might try the newer bios that came out a while back....1307 i think.
i have also had some hangs with older PC's that are using much older (30-40 gig) drives but, i doubt that's it.
October 21, 2009 6:30:06 AM

Speaking of your M4A78 Pro I too have encountered this problem. A couple weeks ago I purchased one of those PII X2 550 BE procs after checking with Asus and all that jazz and when it arrived I shut down everything and installed it. Like you The lights came on, drives spun up, no post, no beep, no video. The blasted thing just sat there. I am running 2Gb of Gskil DDR2 1066 memory a radeon 4000 series graphics card with a Corsair 650 or so Watt PS.

So after the initial install and round of unplugging everything but leaving 1 stick of memory and the CPU in there no drives no usb or any other things the same problem remains. Oh and for the record my motherboard bios rev listed the Phenom II cpu on the list but there was a newer one available so I went ahead and flashed anyhow. Guess what... the failure to post remained.

I would love to know what you did in order to get the system to boot with the Phenom II 550 BE proc. This is my second one and I'm really anxious to get this system upgraded.
October 23, 2009 6:28:26 AM

Ok I figured out what the problem was with my system. For some reason it wouldn't play nice with the G.Skill 1066 memory I had installed. I went to a local pc repair shop and bought a cheap stick of crucial memory and she fired right up. Hope that helps you.
!