Problem with new build

aveet

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
Well I just finished building a new computer and I'm having trouble getting it to boot up. I've gone through some threads here and checked Google but I'm still not getting it to work. When I press the power button, any fan connected (CPU, vid card, case) makes a pulsing noise. The only thing I can think of is that the motherboard has an older bios that isn't compatible with the new Phenom chips. I'll list the components below:

ASUS M3A78-EM
AMD Phenom II x4 940
Radeon 4850 x2
Corasiar tx 650w
WD caviar black hdd

Thanks!

aveet

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
I double checked the 24 pin and 4 pin power connectors to the motherboard and it booted up just fine. I'm installing windows now, so hopefully everything goes alright!

If the Corsair is pulsing too, that's probably a bad sign. Bad PSU or bad power from the wall. If you have any stability problems just turn it off and try a different outlet in another part of the house. If that doesn't fix it call Corsair.

aveet

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
Well everything installed okay. I played some games earlier and everything ran smoothly. Like an idiot, I decided to update my bios and now I'm having this same problem again. Anyone have any suggestions?

aveet

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
When I boot it up, it's not doing anything aside from just spinning the fans in the pulse pattern I was talking about. When I was able to get it to boot successfully yesterday, it did spin the fans like this for just a second before moving on and booting up. So it almost seems like it's just stuck performing this same first part of the boot up over and over.

aveet

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
Just to clarify a bit, everything was working great until I tried to update the BIOS using ASUS' windows utility(which I've since learned is a horrible idea). I've done some digging and since everything was working well prior to the bios flash, I'm pretty sure that I've broken/bricked the motherboard and will have to get another one. Ah well, chalk this one up to experience I suppose.

if your still able to POST after the BIOS update why not just try re updating it again. most asus boards are able to update within the BIOS using a USB drive. i agree if the if it keeps pulsating more than one time its definitely the PSU

aveet

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
Oh, the PSU is fine, sorry. I'm pretty sure the pulsing I described was just the first part of the boot where the fans accelerate, but it just got stuck there. I'm not able to post at all, so that's why I'm thinking that I bricked the mobo. I'm going to try to RMA the board and go from there.