Sign in with
Your question

No hard drive found, on Gateway CX2619 laptop

Last response: in Storage
September 5, 2010 8:20:42 PM

We got a hand me down Gateway Laptop, and made the mistake of assuming (yes no the meaning) that there was 2 System Recovery Kit disks, and there was a third one. After getting half way thru the reformat process.

Now just want to install a full version XP Pro, and getting an error that there's no hard drive found. I read the thread about changing the SATA setting in my BIOS, but I find no such setting. Again this is a Gateway Laptop, w/Phoneix bios. When I plug in my USB 2GB stick in see's that as a hard drive and would install windows onto usb drive. Just looking for any help, to avoid taking to Office Depot and putting down money to install windows.

Thx, Steve
a b G Storage
September 7, 2010 10:17:58 AM

bummer. you got a copy of XP, your trying to install yourself and it doesn't show the hdd in setup? checked it actually has a hdd? if its handmedown someone may have yoinked it as its one of the few things removable of use in a laptop. if it has a hdd, take it out, plug it back in and try again. otherwise the hdd might be fubar'd.
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
September 7, 2010 2:26:11 PM

Check the gateway website for the SATA driver and hit the f6 key during the windows setup to load the driver. if unsure google "f6 windows install" for more info.
m
l
Related resources
!