Sign in with
Your question

GTX260 Core 216 SC Problems with Drivers I think? Something is wrong

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 19, 2009 5:30:43 PM

I now this is Long but Please try read everything i need serious help, Thanks a lot

I just received my GTX 260 Core 216 SC video card I installed the card and the computer detected it and it displayed in the monitor. Has anyone had Problems with this Drivers and with this video card?

Then I went to Nvidia website to download the latest Drivers:
Version: 182.08
Release Date: March 03, 2009
Operating System: Windows Vista 64-bit

Then it installed fine everything seemed fine so i decided to test my card with some games i have like
COD5, FEAR 2, Gears of War. :) 

First in FEAR 2 the game started, game auto detected the settings on Max, then i clicked to load my saved game and when it just started the game froze and screen went black and the computer froze too. :o 

I restart the computer and tried it again and it happened again. :pfff: 

Then i tried COD5, the game started so when i mess with the settings and changed the resolution and clicked apply the screen closes and then it should open again but it didn't, the computer and screen froze. :fou: 

In Gears of War was the same thing. :pfff: 

Also when the Screen Saver started in my Screen and After 20min the Screen Froze and i had to restart. :fou: 

*Previously I had the Geforce 8800GT and this never happened in my computer or my games.*

I Wonder if its the Video card or the Drivers that are Causing this??

Also i started to wonder if my Power Supply had Something to do with this but I'm not Sure Since it Seems a Pretty Strong PSU, Can anyone check this Please?? This is my PSU Corsair 650TX Check the SPECS:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

My Computer SPECS:

Quad Core Q9550 @ 2.8ghz
GTX 260 Core 216 SuperClocked
Asus P5qc Motherboard
Corsair 650TX PSU
4gb Ram
WD 320gb HDD 7200rpm

March 19, 2009 7:07:00 PM

Cyberman, welcome to Tom's.
Your power supply is enough for the 260.
Personally I haven't like any of 180.xx drivers. The last one I tried 182.06 stepped down (a power saving feature, where the core and memory lower MHz in non intensive apps) and it would not step back up. I'm thinking that you may be experiencing that same scenario.
I still get the best performance out of driver 177.79, but you may want to try 2 or 3 different drivers to see which one performs best with your set-up.
March 19, 2009 8:12:50 PM

unclefester said:
Cyberman, welcome to Tom's.
Your power supply is enough for the 260.
Personally I haven't like any of 180.xx drivers. The last one I tried 182.06 stepped down (a power saving feature, where the core and memory lower MHz in non intensive apps) and it would not step back up. I'm thinking that you may be experiencing that same scenario.
I still get the best performance out of driver 177.79, but you may want to try 2 or 3 different drivers to see which one performs best with your set-up.

I'm going to look for old drivers to see what happens, so this is normal to happened when using the new 180.xx drivers? like computer crashing when trying to play a game, open pictures, or movies or anything graphic?

March 19, 2009 9:57:26 PM

I don't think you call it the norm. But I have experienced various issues with these drivers. From stuttering/dropping frames in game play, the fan not spinning at all, loosing 6000 points in 3DMark03 bench test, and the latest with the 182.06 not stepping back up to full 3D acceleration after stepping-down in 2D idle mode.
!