WMP 10 syncing over wifi?

October 20, 2004 10:17:46 PM

Is it possible to synchronize files between my PC and PPC using WMP 10?

More about : wmp syncing wifi

Anonymous
October 20, 2004 10:32:57 PM

**Sorry I meant to ask if it was possible to sync over wifi using WMP10
Anonymous
October 21, 2004 1:45:41 PM

Yes. What model PPC have you got ?

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 18:17:46 -0500, "Mike Jones" <nospam@whatso.ever>
wrote:

>Is it possible to synchronize files between my PC and PPC using WMP 10?

October 21, 2004 3:29:11 PM

I have a Dell Axim X30

"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" <neil@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Yes. What model PPC have you got ?
>
> On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 18:17:46 -0500, "Mike Jones" <nospam@whatso.ever>
> wrote:
>
>>Is it possible to synchronize files between my PC and PPC using WMP 10?

Anonymous
October 21, 2004 9:29:19 PM

So you got WMP9 on the Dell and WMP10 on the desktop ? Or did you
apply the Dell ROM update which provides WM10 on the pocket PC, and
it's now not working ?

Or.... what problem are you having ?

If you mean 'general' files, no, use ActiveSync for that (the files
must be in subdirectories of the My Documents folder on the PPC)

If you mean media (audio / video ) files, sure, go ahead.

Cheers - Neil

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 11:29:11 -0500, "Mike Jones" <nospam@whatso.ever>
wrote:

>I have a Dell Axim X30
>
>"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" <neil@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> Yes. What model PPC have you got ?
>>
>> On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 18:17:46 -0500, "Mike Jones" <nospam@whatso.ever>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Is it possible to synchronize files between my PC and PPC using WMP 10?

Anonymous
October 22, 2004 3:43:32 AM

I applied the A05 ROM update. But thats besides the point.

Sorry I wasn't clear on my question. What I want to know is is it possible
to sync my audio/video files via 802.11b using WMP 10. If it is , how do I
do it?
WMP 10 only sees my PPC when it is in the cradle connected via USB.

Transfer of files via 802.11b works fine outside of using WMP 10.

> So you got WMP9 on the Dell and WMP10 on the desktop ? Or did you
> apply the Dell ROM update which provides WM10 on the pocket PC, and
> it's now not working ?
>
> Or.... what problem are you having ?
>
> If you mean 'general' files, no, use ActiveSync for that (the files
> must be in subdirectories of the My Documents folder on the PPC)
>
> If you mean media (audio / video ) files, sure, go ahead.
>
> Cheers - Neil
>
> On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 11:29:11 -0500, "Mike Jones" <nospam@whatso.ever>
> wrote:
>
>>I have a Dell Axim X30
>>
>>"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" <neil@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>> Yes. What model PPC have you got ?

Anonymous
October 22, 2004 7:14:05 PM

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 23:43:32 -0500, "Mike Jones" <nospam@whatso.ever>
wrote:

>I applied the A05 ROM update. But thats besides the point.

Not entirely. WMP10 introduced some changes to the sync to device,
specifically lower bitrates were removed from the sync profile (you'll
no longer find 32kbps for example, which might be suitable for audio
books).

>Sorry I wasn't clear on my question. What I want to know is is it possible
>to sync my audio/video files via 802.11b using WMP 10. If it is , how do I
>do it?
>WMP 10 only sees my PPC when it is in the cradle connected via USB.
>
>Transfer of files via 802.11b works fine outside of using WMP 10.
>

>"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" <neil@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> So you got WMP9 on the Dell and WMP10 on the desktop ? Or did you
>> apply the Dell ROM update which provides WM10 on the pocket PC, and
>> it's now not working ?
>>
>> Or.... what problem are you having ?
>>
>> If you mean 'general' files, no, use ActiveSync for that (the files
>> must be in subdirectories of the My Documents folder on the PPC)
>>
>> If you mean media (audio / video ) files, sure, go ahead.
>>
>> Cheers - Neil
>>
>> On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 11:29:11 -0500, "Mike Jones" <nospam@whatso.ever>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I have a Dell Axim X30
>>>
>>>"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" <neil@nospam.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
October 22, 2004 8:54:12 PM

Sorry, this got sent early.

I'll try to get a step-by-step together for ya.

Cheers - Neil

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 15:14:05 GMT, "Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]"
<neil@nospam.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 23:43:32 -0500, "Mike Jones" <nospam@whatso.ever>
>wrote:
>
>>I applied the A05 ROM update. But thats besides the point.
>
>Not entirely. WMP10 introduced some changes to the sync to device,
>specifically lower bitrates were removed from the sync profile (you'll
>no longer find 32kbps for example, which might be suitable for audio
>books).
>
>>Sorry I wasn't clear on my question. What I want to know is is it possible
>>to sync my audio/video files via 802.11b using WMP 10. If it is , how do I
>>do it?
>>WMP 10 only sees my PPC when it is in the cradle connected via USB.
>>
>>Transfer of files via 802.11b works fine outside of using WMP 10.
>>

>>"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" <neil@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>> So you got WMP9 on the Dell and WMP10 on the desktop ? Or did you
>>> apply the Dell ROM update which provides WM10 on the pocket PC, and
>>> it's now not working ?
>>>
>>> Or.... what problem are you having ?
>>>
>>> If you mean 'general' files, no, use ActiveSync for that (the files
>>> must be in subdirectories of the My Documents folder on the PPC)
>>>
>>> If you mean media (audio / video ) files, sure, go ahead.
>>>
>>> Cheers - Neil

Anonymous
October 23, 2004 6:30:23 PM

OK, I checked here and you're right. Though a device can be synced
over Wifi for ActiveSync, it seems WMP10 only recognises USB connected
(cradled) devices, so I'm afraid I can't see a way to get this to
work.

About all you could do is to convert the files on the PC to a suitable
bitrate for the PPC, then copy them across to a folder on your Mobile
Device using Activesync - no way to automate it.

Cheers - Neil

wrote:

>I applied the A05 ROM update. But thats besides the point.
>
>Sorry I wasn't clear on my question. What I want to know is is it possible
>to sync my audio/video files via 802.11b using WMP 10. If it is , how do I
>do it?
>WMP 10 only sees my PPC when it is in the cradle connected via USB.
>
>Transfer of files via 802.11b works fine outside of using WMP 10.
>

>"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" <neil@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> So you got WMP9 on the Dell and WMP10 on the desktop ? Or did you
>> apply the Dell ROM update which provides WM10 on the pocket PC, and
>> it's now not working ?
>>
>> Or.... what problem are you having ?
>>
>> If you mean 'general' files, no, use ActiveSync for that (the files
>> must be in subdirectories of the My Documents folder on the PPC)
>>
>> If you mean media (audio / video ) files, sure, go ahead.
>>
>> Cheers - Neil
>>
>> On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 11:29:11 -0500, "Mike Jones" <nospam@whatso.ever>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I have a Dell Axim X30
>>>
>>>"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" <neil@nospam.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
October 25, 2004 3:14:25 PM

The really frustrating part about this bug/feature is that despite it
requiring the USB to sync, it syncs via the connection established in
ActiveSync. For instance, when I establish an ActiveSync connection via
Bluetooth and then plug my device (the SMT5600) into USB port, it syncs via
Bluetooth. It drives me nuts!

Cheers,
Steve

"Mike Jones" <nospam@whatso.ever> wrote in message
news:o 5bNxG$tEHA.2116@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>I applied the A05 ROM update. But thats besides the point.
>
> Sorry I wasn't clear on my question. What I want to know is is it
> possible to sync my audio/video files via 802.11b using WMP 10. If it is ,
> how do I do it?
> WMP 10 only sees my PPC when it is in the cradle connected via USB.
>
> Transfer of files via 802.11b works fine outside of using WMP 10.
>

> "Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" <neil@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> So you got WMP9 on the Dell and WMP10 on the desktop ? Or did you
>> apply the Dell ROM update which provides WM10 on the pocket PC, and
>> it's now not working ?
>>
>> Or.... what problem are you having ?
>>
>> If you mean 'general' files, no, use ActiveSync for that (the files
>> must be in subdirectories of the My Documents folder on the PPC)
>>
>> If you mean media (audio / video ) files, sure, go ahead.
>>
>> Cheers - Neil
>>
>> On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 11:29:11 -0500, "Mike Jones" <nospam@whatso.ever>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I have a Dell Axim X30
>>>
>>>"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" <neil@nospam.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
October 25, 2004 3:30:28 PM

Neil, is there any chance that "WMP2PPC music sync over wifi"
functionality will be added in the near-future? (Activesync 4.0?
WMP11?) I don't typically use USB to sync my PocketPC with my PC and
it would be handy for me and others to sync music over wifi. Thanks.

"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" <neil@nospam.com> wrote in message news:<pirkn01qf5031j0q8iuqp47o9hhglhuejk@4ax.com>...
> OK, I checked here and you're right. Though a device can be synced
> over Wifi for ActiveSync, it seems WMP10 only recognises USB connected
> (cradled) devices, so I'm afraid I can't see a way to get this to
> work.
Anonymous
October 26, 2004 3:49:24 AM

I'll ask around but don't hold your breath ;-)

I'm guessing that it's probably a limitation in the way WM detects
attached devices, which I assume must be phisically attaced rather
than network devices ... so that could mean WM11 (they just released
WM10 a month ago !)

Cheers - Neil

!