Websense update from 6.3.1 to 7.1 MSDE UPGRADE

Diaspora

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
Hi I am a Websense Administrator

I am not asking for assistance, I have just want to share with the Community the struggle I have overcome recently with a Websense update from 6.3.1 to 7.1

If I had the below information this would have saved me a load of time.

Websense is very easy to install, just grab the software from www.websense.com

it is only difficult if you are upgrading from a previous version of Wsense which utilizes Microsoft’s MSDE 7, as the current latest version from websense (7.1) utilizes MSDE 2000 sp4

so in my case I was required to install the newer Microsoft MSDE 2000a with SP4, and reserve the current Data within the Default Database instance.

I downloaded Microsoft’s MSDE software, if you run the software from windows it will install and Setup a Default Instance with a BLANK password (very secure ;)) (you can refer to this via services.msc called MSSQL$), now if you already have a default instance running you will receive a error "the instance name specified is invalid"

so here is a summary of the steps I followed which obviously can be applied to any MSDE upgrade.

*Note that Microsoft suggest backing up your Database before trying to upgrade (makes sense)

Upgrade MSDE to SP4

Downloaded these 2 files
MSDE 2000a
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=413744D1-A0BC-479F-BAFA-E4B278EB9147&displaylang=en

MSDE 2000 SP4
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=8e2dfc8d-c20e-4446-99a9-b7f0213f8bc5&displaylang=en
SQL2000.MSDE-KB884525-SP4-x86-ENU.EXE

Now first I installed the MSDE 2000a from Run dialog box
<Drive Letter>:\MSDE2000A\Setup.exe INSTANCENAME="Websense" SAWP="SecurePassword"

I do not know if this step was necessary as this only installed a new instance, and did nothing to the default Database which is where websense installs its Database (so now I have MSSQL$ and MSSQL$WEBSENSE) *I think that this was probably a useless step but HEY my systems are working fine now the above step installed another instance of a database called websense, I also assigned a Securepassword to this instance.

MSDE 2000sp4
I decided to throw caution to the wind and run the Upgrade flag (against certain forums suggestions), this made the most sense to me, as this would not require trying to install a new default Instance which already existed, but upgrade it, sounds simple?

Before doing this step I Highly recommend disabling all start-up programs and services utilising MSCONFIG, Start-up (select disable all) under Services selecting all Microsoft services, and disabling all 3rd party Services (HIDE MICROSOFT SERVICES and DISABLE ALL)
Restart the System and ensure that only one Administrator is running before continuing, as I ran into script errors with 2 Admin accounts running at the same time (e.g. multiple remote logins) *Only necessary if you have MSDE installed within windows server environment

From the Run command execute the Following. (just direct this to where you have dropped the setup files)
*this upgrade is directed at the Default instance, this also allows network access, if this is not required you can deactivate network access with DISABLENETWORKPROTOCOLS=1, I Suggest creating a Log to see how the installation/Upgrade of MSDE went when with /L*v "<Drive letter>:\logname.log, this also has a BLANK PASSWORD set (security risk)

Drive Letter>:\SQL2KSP4\MSDE\setup.exe /upgradesp sqlrun BLANKSAPWD=1 DISABLENETWORKPROTOCOLS=0 /L*v "c:\MSDELognew.log" REBOOT=ReallySuppress /qn

Reactivate your default start up services and programs (MSCONFIG), restart server before running Websense 7.1

Installation went through perfect.

Hope this is helpful

Cheers

Hobbs13

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
Diaspora,

I am in the same boat as a websense admin. Figured I would share some info I found on performing MSDE Upgrades from older versions to SP4.

The examples in this section show you how to upgrade an existing instance of MSDE 2000 to MSDE 2000 SP4, and to disable the network connectivity for that instance of MSDE 2000.
If the instance must accept connections from applications that are running on other computers, do not specify the DISABLENETWORKPROTOCOLS parameter.

To upgrade an existing MSDE 2000 instance to MSDE 2000 SP4

From the command prompt, use the cd command to navigate to the folder that contains the MSDE 2000 SP4 setup utility: cd c:\MSDESP4Folder\MSDE
(folder into which you extracted the MSDE 2000 SP4 files )

Execute one of the following commands:
For a default instance that uses Windows Authentication and has its network protocols disabled, execute:
setup /upgradesp sqlrun /L*v C:\MSDELog.log

For a default instance that uses Windows Authentication and has its network protocols enabled, execute:
setup /upgradesp sqlrun DISABLENETWORKPROTOCOLS=0 /L*v C:\MSDELog.log

For a named instance that uses Windows Authentication and has its network protocols disabled, execute:
setup /upgradesp sqlrun INSTANCENAME=InstanceName /L*v C:\MSDELog.log

For a default instance that uses Mixed Mode Authentication and has its network protocols disabled, where AnAdminLogin is a member of the sysadmin fixed server role, execute:
setup /upgradesp sqlrun SECURITYMODE=SQL UPGRADEUSER=AnAdminLogin
UPGRADEPWD=AdminPassword /L*v C:\MSDELog.log

For a named instance that uses Mixed Mode Authentication and has its network protocols disabled, where AnAdminLogin is a member of the sysadmin fixed server role, execute:
setup /upgradesp sqlrun INSTANCENAME= InstanceName SECURITYMODE=SQL
UPGRADEUSER=AnAdminLogin UPGRADEPWD=AdminPassword /L*v C:\MSDELog.log

Line breaks were included in these examples for readability. Commands must be executed without line breaks.