RAM Amount Disappearing

Lutticon

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
Okay so please bare with my as this is my first time overclocking a computer. It is not that important that I overclock my computer because it is plenty fast enough (All 7.6 and 7.4 in Windows Experience Index), but I am curious as to why this problem is happening. First off let me state I use Windows 7 Ultimate O/S, an Intel i7 950 Processor @ 3.06 ghz, and 12 gb GSkill RAM @ 1333 mhz. When I run the processor at its base speed and set the ram to 1333 mhz it has no problem running and showing I have 12 gb ram and processor @ 3.06 ghz. But when I overclock the processor to 3.33 ghz or 3.7 ghz all my ram is not visible and working when I run windows. Now the question is do I need to set my RAM below 1333 mhz and adjust the voltage? (It stacks up ghz each time I step up the processor speed). Because when I do overclock my processor and set my ram below 1333 mhz I still only show 4 or 8 gb of RAM. I use a Rampage III Formula Motherboard (Extreme Tweaker). So what is the problem here and how can it be resolved?

At what base clocks was this occuring?

I have a similar issue, my CPU was stable for a week or two at 178 base clock, with the RAM at 1424 and 1.68V, but suddenly my 8GB became 2.8GB. I tried a few things without success, and then dropping down to 177 base clock all 8 GB appeared again.

I'm thinking it might have to do with not enough VTT/IMC voltage (Integrated Memory Controller)

Lutticon

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
By base clocks I meant it was just set to base as 3.06 ghz and 1333, I believe around 1.5 v. With the integrated memory controller you say? Anyone have any other information on this issue?