Wont boot up without old IDE drive

budsatawny

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2010
OK so when i built my rig I didn't get an sata hdd as I already had a 360G IDE hdd
so I wound up buying 2 other hdd's both sata...I originally installed my winxpx64 on the IDE hdd
then I installed it to one of the sata hdd's.for faster speed..IDE drive is labeled C. sata labeled D...
ok this is my problem...I can't remove the IDE drive or Windows won't start..
but plug it back in and presto... I changed some bios settings trying to get it to boot
directly from the D drive (sata) but no luck... had to reset all bios settings to default and reconnect the IDE just to boot up.
Lucky I keep all settings on good old fashioned PAPER :whistle: ...or it would be HELL re-overclocking...LOL :non:
here comes the comedy...I don't know NADA about this RAID thing.. and really don't care...but maybe that is the prob
no RAID setup?...Thanx in advance

Solution
Theres a boot.ini file in C:\ that describes how many OSs and where they are installed, you'll need to move it to the other newer drive and modify it to reflect your new setup. you should be able to figure it out once you open that file and see how it operates.

blackmancer

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2008
Theres a boot.ini file in C:\ that describes how many OSs and where they are installed, you'll need to move it to the other newer drive and modify it to reflect your new setup. you should be able to figure it out once you open that file and see how it operates.

Solution

budsatawny

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2010

Ok I'll look 4 it...and report back with my findings..
Thanx.

blackmancer

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2008
i think you should be good to go. fingers crossed XD. btw this is why its good to unplug other hdds that have an OS on it when u install a new OS on a different drive, u don't get this hdd confusion thing.