Sign in with
Your question

Accessing HDD data without Formatting

Last response: in Storage
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 5, 2010 9:35:23 PM

Greetings.

I have a Dell XPS 600 (Windows XP Pro) that died (non-Hard Drive related death...hehe).

I purchased a new Dell XPS 7100 (Windows 7 Pro) and an external HDD Enclosure (USB) to remove my old HDD in order to retrieve the data onto my new system.

When I plug in the USB enclosure, the device shows up on my new system as "DRIVE L:" - Great!

When I access the drive letter the system indicates that it cannot access the drive and that it needs to formatted...which of course defeats the whole purpose since I desperately need the data. - Not so great.

Any suggestions on how to access a HDD without format?

Kind Regards

Summer Nguyen

PS.

- Already tried another XP machine - no luck.
- Already tried Windows XP Virtual mode on new system - no luck
- Already tried installing the HDD directly into the new machine; but yields same result as enclosure approach.
- No speeches about performing regular data backups please - LOL

a b G Storage
September 6, 2010 5:03:07 AM

REGULAR BACKUPS!!!! 2 words aren't a speech right? lol

but seriously sounds like MFT corruptions/issue. You'll need to check out some data recovery or partitioning programs and try a recovery. Its possible its still there just somewhere in the deleted data. But it's not a good spot to be in.
m
l
September 6, 2010 6:07:23 PM

Hi

If you decide to reformat there is a program to recover deleted files even after reformating. It's completely free. http://www.piriform.com/recuva . Some files you won't be able to recover but most of them are.

Hope this helps :) 
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 6, 2010 6:58:06 PM

blackmancer: LOL! Regular Backups from now on! Also, I did try a recovery program with mixed results (took 9hrs to run on a 250Mb drive!) . Using this tool I can see the directory structure of my files on the drive, however most are not viewable after recovery. :( 

jboyinabox: Looks like I may indeed format after all. Might as well get some use out of the old drive right?! hehe. I may give the recovery software you suggest a try after formatting...why not hehe.

thanx all

Summer
m
l
April 18, 2011 3:36:59 PM

Quote:
Greetings.

I have a Dell XPS 600 (Windows XP Pro) that died (non-Hard Drive related death...hehe).

I purchased a new Dell XPS 7100 (Windows 7 Pro) and an external HDD Enclosure (USB) to remove my old HDD in order to retrieve the data onto my new system.

When I plug in the USB enclosure, the device shows up on my new system as "DRIVE L:" - Great!

When I access the drive letter the system indicates that it cannot access the drive and that it needs to formatted...which of course defeats the whole purpose since I desperately need the data. - Not so great.

Any suggestions on how to access a HDD without format?

Kind Regards

Summer Nguyen

PS.

- Already tried another XP machine - no luck.
- Already tried Windows XP Virtual mode on new system - no luck
- Already tried installing the HDD directly into the new machine; but yields same result as enclosure approach.
- No speeches about performing regular data backups please - LOL

I have exactly the same problem right now please help us :D 
m
l
a c 311 G Storage
April 19, 2011 1:14:07 PM

Stewart1234 said:
I have exactly the same problem right now please help us :D 

First, try exactly the same things!
Second, it's a better idea to start a new thread in case your tests and replies go down a second path. Plus, this thread may be closed when the OP (original poster) is fixed.
Third, I hope that you get all your data back.
m
l
a b G Storage
April 19, 2011 6:20:42 PM

Do not format. First run the drive manufacturer's diagnostic software utility against the drive to see if it is healthy. The diagnostic reslults will determine what the next best step is.
m
l
April 20, 2011 8:34:58 AM

use KnoppiX live cd. It will show you your data on the said HDD. I just have the same problem and it works.
this CD can be downloaded freely
m
l
March 28, 2013 10:52:06 PM

nayab04 said:
use KnoppiX live cd. It will show you your data on the said HDD. I just have the same problem and it works.
this CD can be downloaded freely

Okay, so I had a broken laptop, I took the hard drive out, bought a USB adapter, plugged it into another computer....

When I click on the drive ( E: ), it says I need to format, but doing so would erase all the data, which is exactly what i'm trying not to do!

I downloaded "Recuva" and searched the drive ( E: ), but it only was able to locate files that have been deleted (stuff I deleted from recycle bin & "temporary internet files" that were deleted)..

I need to recover files and folders that I had on the desktop, not stuff I deleted.. does anyone know how to do this?? Recuva won't let me search specific file locations, it only searches for deleted files..... Is there a free program I can download to recover my desktop files??
m
l
June 22, 2014 1:38:26 AM

Guys u am having a same prob like this. I have a wd my passport ultra 1 tb. Maybe something is wrong it show up as local disk and its not accessable i can't even right click on the local disk. I CAN'T even touch it or windows stop working. HELP
m
l
!