Sign in with
Your question

CPU cooler for my motherboard

Last response: in Overclocking
September 16, 2010 3:25:07 PM

I have Arctic cooling Alpine 11 cooler but it doesn't let me do higher overclocks like 4GHz
atm I have e8400 3GHz OCed @3.5GHz and the temps are:
44°C idle
65°C after running orthos for an hour

I found a good/cheap cpu cooler called Thermaltake Contac 29 but I'm worried that it won't fit in my system...

My system:
GA-P35-DS3 motherboard (LGA 775 socket)
http://ee.giga-byte.com/products/mb/specs/ga-p35-ds3_21...
Intel Core 2 Duo 3GHz OCed @3.5GHz
Gigabyte GTX 460 1gb GPU
PSU: ATX 400W
DDR2 800 1gb x 2
My case: coolermaster elite 331 rc-331 ATX

in hope someone can help me...
Thanks!

More about : cpu cooler motherboard

September 16, 2010 3:56:26 PM

what's your case.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
September 16, 2010 6:00:12 PM

majini said:
I found a good/cheap cpu cooler called Thermaltake Contac 29 but I'm worried that it won't fit in my system...

I don't know if you bought it yet, but the Contac29 is not a very good cooler. The 212+ is much better and runs $25-30.

Just take the side off your case and measure from the base of your stock cooler to the side of your case or remove the stock cooler and measure from the CPU to the side of your case. All coolers list their height, so it should be rather easy to tell what cooler will fit.
September 16, 2010 7:32:04 PM

okay, I have found out what case I have, it's coolermaster elite 331 rc-331 ATX
September 16, 2010 7:37:00 PM

RJR said:
I don't know if you bought it yet, but the Contac29 is not a very good cooler. The 212+ is much better and runs $25-30.

Just take the side off your case and measure from the base of your stock cooler to the side of your case or remove the stock cooler and measure from the CPU to the side of your case. All coolers list their height, so it should be rather easy to tell what cooler will fit.

Well, I checked both, the contac 29 and 212+ but the difference were ±4C so it is pretty much the same.
Correct me if I am wrong.
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
September 17, 2010 1:08:54 AM

Don't get me wrong, for your application you can use either without a problem, but the fact is the 212+ is a more capable cooler than the contact29. Besides the better cooling, the 212+ also uses a backplate and bolts down and the contac29 uses the push pins like the stock Intel coolers, not the best solution.

Here is a reputable review (check out the testing methodology, a couple degrees in their scale will equate to more in your computer):
http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=251...

But, once again you could get away with either one on a Core2Duo but if you can get better performance and better mounting for the same price......up to you.
!