UBCD won't find HDD

hockey77777

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
I have an external hard drive (60gig 7200 rpm Hitachi Travelstar) I keep connected to my computer via external. I wanted to run the HDD diagnosis on it with Ulimate Boot CD; however, the CD can never find it - but Windows 7 does. Any suggestions help?

silversurfernhs

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
Your bios might not support the use of usb hard drives w/o drivers, and therefore it works in windows, but not elsewhere.

Also it might be because UBCD cant find the specific file system version on the disk (don't know if this applies, i assume it normally wouldn't as it is a diagnostic tool - but ive bener had to use it)

You might have to enable the use of usb drives in the bios - my rampage lets me choose how to handle usb hard drives.

blackmancer

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2008
perhaps the issue is UBCD doesn't like USB connected storage?? does it load USB drivers?? just because the BIOS knows ur hdd is plugged in doesn't mean the UBCD will be able to access it. If it doesn't have software to drive the USB device and use it, then this may be whats happening. I can't remember using UBCD for USB devices, when I was working I had a testbed that I'd hook everything upto. :/ I'm just stuck on why you NEED UBCD if something like Seatools can still do the job? is Seatools slower?? sry, bear with me.