High value i920

nss000

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Gents:

I see INTEL i920s / x58s are going for less-than $200 each at some brick & mortar stores. Sounds like an AMD_killer to me. I'm about to build_out new kit -- on a tight budget -- strong on FP performance for scientific calculations. I have noted INTEL FP performance far-exceeds that of AMD units .. and AMD_940 does NOT allow 8-G of hi-speed ram.

Advantage INTEL I think for non_gaming kit. On a "value" basis am I judging correctly ?

JessieJ

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
It's only available to people with a local Microcenter storefront in their area.

www.microcenter.com.

The month's price is 229.00 - but they have been flashing around 199.00 on and off during that time period - if you keep checking back - you might catch another 199.00 sale price. You pay online to reserve the processor - they'll hold it 3 or 4 days - and you pick it up at the retail location.

My local sotre currently has 4 in stock at 229.00.

spuddyt

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007
The main cost in the I7 platform is the motherboards and the DDR3 RAM, not the processer (its the only reason Core 2 is stilll viable to any degree)

nss000

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008

So I have read ... only 4-G DDr2 1066 is allowed by the P_940 allow no matter WHAT the mobo. And even that speed must be "hacked".

nss000

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008

The "trend" is right. INTEL price drops will spread & hold. While P955 price rises < $245 last> and solid DDr3 AMD mobos are $200+. For a straight-buy and no fluxxing about after the buy ... and superior FP performance I see the case weaking for AMD. Nobody here denys it . I was looking for that!

FYI** My last build was AMD/ASUS : 5400+/M2N and it's a very able Linux desktop. But, with new_gen components for my "home mainframe" system I see AMD has slipped way behind in performance and practical function.

Only price saves AMD ... and to this prudent non_gaming buyer they appear to be losing that slim advantage.

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008

No, just no. There is no hack and there is no CPU limitation. The AM2+/AM3 platform is much less restrictive with RAM than the i7 platform.

AMD CPU prices will lower as well as Intel and a "solid" DDR3 AMD mobos start at $90, especially for non-gamers.

Price is not what is saving AMD at this point, its the price/performance ratio that saves AMD. Not only does the difference between a Phenom 2 system and an i7 system shrink when overclocked, but the difference is minimal when the actual time difference is taken into account. If you can afford an i7 system, then it will be great for your uses, but if you can't or hypothetically couldn't like many others then the Phenom 2 system is a great buy.

Atleast get your facts straight before you start trolling the forums. We have no problem helping you decide, but please try to stick to facts and not rumors, theories, opinions, or outright unbased lies.

Edit: Also please don't state special deals, especially in-store pick up only deals that don't apply for most people.

nss000

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008

Humm ... I should have expected it -- AMD fanboi baloney, half_truths and dis-embling. And of-course the EVIL-TROLL accusation from some Crysis_addicted moron. Since I stay current on reviews and have **real_work** to accomplish I really don't care.

So -- if anyone is running molecular-dynamic simulations on 20-subunit polypeptides and has hard_number < cost/performance > experience for -i920 vs --P955 kit I'd sure appreciate a shout.

Helloworld_98

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
^ well over here there's little point in getting a comparing 955 setup because it costs £10 more than the 920 setup.

but if you compare a 940 setup then there is over £50 difference, or if you want 16GB of ram then over £200 difference.

and if you actually did what you say you do then you wouldn't be talking like some fanboy or a 12 year old who's just trying to annoy some experts in a subject just for laughs.

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008

Yep I'm an AMD fanboy, I even have... wait I have ZERO AMD systems in my house. Isn't that odd?

Don't get all annoyed because someone is using fact to prove your false accusations as just that, false accusations.

Edit: My i7 920 @ 4.2 GHz will destroy those simulations, but that doesn't mean it is the best CPU on the planet, not even close.

BadTrip

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006

high post count doesnt make you an expert, from all your post i have read its obvious you dont have a clue.

Nope.