WARNING ASUS P6T deeply flawed with memories

marraco

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
After seeing all the goods reviews for the ASUS P6T family of mothers,
I buyed an ASUS P6T, and a triple channel kit of OCZ OCZ3RPR1600LV6GK 1600
7-7-7-20. Well, it does not recognize more than 4 Gb (not even in the BIOS, the os is 64 bit). I tried exactly the memory positions on the mobo manual, and others (to discard manual errors). Also tested each memory individually as single channel, and double channel and it works, but not in triple channel. the strange thing is that CPUZ shows it running as triple channel, but only 4 Gb, not 4096Mb, but something like 4088Mb. There is not integrated video (the videocard is my old 8800GT 512). Also, CPUZ cannot read SPD information. I found lots of posts on forums with people having exactly the same problem with P6T, P6T deluxe, V1 and V2 versions.

I installed the latest BIOS from ASUS for P6T, and some of the older BIOS says they fixes some mobos that do not recognize more than 4 GB with some Geforce 275.

being so common problem, ASUS should had resolved it. The mother have many months on the market, and this is a common problem.

I cannot return the mother to the vendor. I would be forced to pay for the procedure, and it would cost as much as the mother.

Solution
The Reaper from OCZ got a lot of incompatibility with Asus motherboard. It's not the RAM, it's really just Asus here.

I know what it's like to buy a product and finding the problems after. It's like reading a credit card or a paypal contract... you only find later no matter how much skills you got.

But seriously, Asus is really doing poorly lately. My 2 last Asus products are a pain in the ass.

tsiberious

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
Ugg. Dont blame your lack of skill on the motherboard. I am running 12GB on the Asus P6T and it works just fine.
I would be nicer, but I don't like the way you are just trying to attack this product.

dzeric

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
I have a P6t Deluxe and it runs very well with 12GB. The motherboard does not have a problem.
Even though you didn't ask for help, and just wanted to complain, here is some advice:
1. Are you sure you are putting the memory in the correct slots (every other slot)? They should be color coded.
2. double check the voltages in the bios.
3. clear your cmos
4. install whatever you can get working and run memtest 86+
5. ask the kind people at toms an actual question , don't just try to bash items that you cant get working.

Agreed. People should just RMA the RAM and try a different RAM. Many people run the P6T/Deluxe,etc perfectly fine.

marraco

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007

My lack of skill mades me think that you message is a bit harsh, helps nothing, and is unnecesarly.

by the way, I assembled 9 non X58 mothers in July, and 4 X58.

Why do ever some asshole needs to whine "It works on my hardware, don't hurt my feelings"?

I also have an Asus P6T Deluxe V2 and have 12G ram in my system and have no issues with it. I am not sure why you would be having the issues you are. I haven't had any issues with ram on my computer unless I over clock the system more then what the memory can handle. I have an I7 920 running at 3.7G and is rock stable in Prime 95 for 30 hrs.

marraco

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
Be sure that I wanted to complain. I wish I had be warned before buying. There are lots of people with this kind of memory problems on the P6T family.
I think I made it clear.
deleting the BIOS, and going with factory defaults, runs them at 1066. The same problem remains
Memtest runs ok on any module, in single, or double channel. Also runs Ok on triple channel on the Intel mother.
This forum is not restricted to questions only. And you do do not have any justification to bash me that way.

Assus seems to be on a spree for making bad hardware lately. All their unlocking Phenom II solution are unstable...

So no Asus with AMD...

Their graphic cards are horrible... I mean, ATI did an incredible job with their 48XX series, but Asus engineers are scrapping everything.

I heard a lot of bad stuffs about the P6T and I don't have any difficulties believing them.

The Reaper from OCZ got a lot of incompatibility with Asus motherboard. It's not the RAM, it's really just Asus here.

I know what it's like to buy a product and finding the problems after. It's like reading a credit card or a paypal contract... you only find later no matter how much skills you got.

But seriously, Asus is really doing poorly lately. My 2 last Asus products are a pain in the ass.

Solution

marraco

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
I contacted the retail shop, and it says that also have others clients problem with OCZ Reaper and P6T.

Him offered to allow me to replace the kit with another model.

Since sending the memories is a lot cheaper than motherboard, I sent the memories to Buenos Aires, Argentina.

I had read a lot ofg missleading info. An Intel doc says that X58 only boots with at minimal double channel. No single channel, but this mother boots with any single memory module. Also the P6T manual say that it only works in double channel if there is used the channel A and B, but it also works with A and C.

The weirdest thing, is that CPUZ recognized that the memory where running in triple channel, but only with 4 Gb, so is a 4 Gb limitation, not a module non recognized.
It can be a CPUZ bug. With that memory Winrar integrated benchmark (wich is really sensible to memory speed), returned 4200 points. Somebody with an Asus P6T+I7 920 (no overclocked, HT and turbo enabled), and DDR3 1600 7-7-720 can confirm this benchmarck (to guess if it really is working on triple channel, or less).