Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New Heatsink/Cooling unit ?

Last response: in Overclocking
September 17, 2010 4:22:56 AM

:hello:  Hi, I have a intel D845GRG motherboard and I'm considering switching from the '01 2.2 ghz pentium 4 (my stock processor) to the '02 2.8 ghz pentium 4. This shows that the 2.8 should work on my motherboard. My question is this-if I am only jumping .6 ghz, can I use the same (stock) cooler unit and heatsink, or should I get a new cooler/heatsink? Also, I was wondering if I needed to worry about anything else if I upgraded(I know I will probably need to update my bios). Thanks guys! :) 

More about : heatsink cooling unit

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
September 17, 2010 12:53:28 PM

I don't believe they changed their fan design between models. You'll be fine. Also, update your BIOS before you put in the new CPU. If the current BIOS isn't compatible you won't be able to do it afterwards.

According to Intel you'll need BIOS P06 or later installed to run w/ the 2.8GHz P4: http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d845g...
September 17, 2010 5:56:22 PM

Uh, I may have a problem updating my BIOS then, because my younger brother pulled my stock processor out to put a faster one in (he had no clue what all it entails). In the process he managed to bend the pins on the processor :cry:  . I don't remember what BIOS I had, and unless I can somehow bend the pins straight and put the stock processor back in I doubt if I have any way to check. I was figuring on being able to update the BIOS anytime. I guess the other thing I could do is just buy an identical processor to the stock one I have. Unless you know of an easy way or a tool for bending processor pins straight. You have any better ideas? Thanks!
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
September 20, 2010 12:18:24 AM

The pins are bent on the motherboard's socket or on the CPU? I see a pin vise recommended often. Some additional info can be found in the following link, search for "i3/i5/i7 'Missing' Memory" or "pin-vise": http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/275856-30-gigabyte-gu...
m
l
September 20, 2010 1:25:25 AM

Pins on the CPU. However, I was able to straighten them out with a tweezers. In the process, two pins broke off. :??:  Is there any way I can tell what they did or should I just try it and see if works?
m
l
September 20, 2010 2:00:21 AM

Try it, see if it even posts. In order to straighten the pins, use a credit card next time.
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
September 20, 2010 6:24:54 PM

It likely won't POST, let alone function correctly with 2 broken pins. I could be wrong, but not something I'd bet on being OK. How do you bend pins removing a chip from a ZIF socket?
m
l
September 20, 2010 8:51:00 PM

rubix_1011 said:
It likely won't POST, let alone function correctly with 2 broken pins. I could be wrong, but not something I'd bet on being OK. How do you bend pins removing a chip from a ZIF socket?

Younger brother! ( :bounce:  )
Right now actually, I'm waiting on thermal paste to get here through the mail.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
September 21, 2010 1:43:52 AM

Interesting experiment he's gotten you into.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 21, 2010 2:09:20 AM

Doesn't work, what's done is done, I know from experience (not close to what your brother had in mind though =P Didn't think swapping pins was possible)

I accidentally installed the heatsink wrong after putting in a 955 for my 550. And so I put the V8 and 955 and flipped it as fast as I could, little did I know, I bent 4 pins. After using a credit card and a knife to straighten them. Got them perfect, no go. Returned it to frys while they had a pro on deck at returns, so no go. Got my mom to return it later, they didn't even check the cpu -_- biased against guys I tell you. XD But I got a new one :D 
m
l
September 21, 2010 4:02:58 PM

Thanks guys, I think 'ekoostik' answered my original question. If when my thermal paste gets here I still have a problem that I think someone can help with, I'll start another thread about that problem. Thanks again! :hello: 
m
l
September 21, 2010 4:03:27 PM

Best answer selected by lambokropf.
m
l
!