Sign in with
Your question
Solved

BIOs recognizes new HD, but does not appear in Vista

Last response: in Storage
September 6, 2010 6:27:40 AM

Hello, i recently bought a new WD 500GB hard drive and I plugged it into my motherboard with a SATA cable into the SATA3 slot. But then when I turn on my computer, and click on "Computer," the new hard drive does not appear and only my older one, an 80GB one, appears. SO then I started to get confused on why it doesnt show up and I ended up wonering if my computer even recognizes it. I restarted my computer, entered BIOS, and my new 500GB hard drive DOES appear, but only in BIOS. Strange isnt it? Any good ways to fix this up? Thanks.

Comp specs:

MB: ASUS M2N68-AM
CPU: AMD Athlon64 x2 4600
RAM: 4GB OCZ Reaper HPC

More about : bios recognizes vista

a b G Storage
September 6, 2010 8:34:31 AM

That is because all your drive is RAW. You have to format them into NTFS to make them show. Use a good Partition Manager software and format them.
m
l

Best solution

September 6, 2010 6:18:40 PM

Or just use Disk Management. It does the same thing and does not require installing an extra program you might use after the first use.

Here's a video where a guy that sounds like Dr. Chase(Jesse Spencer) from House M.D. walks you through the process.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JyOPfBgGXs

He explains it better than I can type it.
Related resources
a b G Storage
September 6, 2010 6:18:40 PM

Right Click on My Computer, click Manage, click Disk Management. on the right you should see both ur hdds, right click on the new one in the bottom pane.
m
l
September 6, 2010 11:32:57 PM

thank you, all your responses helped me.

the video really guided me through, so thanks again
m
l
September 6, 2010 11:33:17 PM

Best answer selected by Questeighty.
m
l
!