Dual monitors, one DVI & one HDMI?

apedeaux

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
I currently have an 8800GT with 2 DVI ports hooked up to 2 DVI LCDs.

I am upgrading and switching brands to the Radeon 4780. I notice that the Gigabyte http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125256 is by far the cheapest on newegg... however instead of 2 DVI ports, it only has 1 DVI port and 1 HDMI port. Will it be possible to get dual monitor support simply by plugging one monitor into the DVI and the other into the HDMI via an DVI-HDMI adaptor?

I hope this is possible... I didn't think I could afford the 1GB 4870, but the Gigabyte version is incredibly cheap after the rebate... but if I can't get dual monitor support with it, I'll have to stick with a 512MB version with 2 DVIs.

Thank you for any help!

apedeaux

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
Thank you!

While we're at it, should I be concerned that the Gigabyte is so cheap? I've always used EVGA for my nVidia cards, and I don't know much about Gigabyte. My computer has excellent fan cooling but my house does not, so I am always interested in temps as well. Does anyone know how the cooling is on the Gigabyte 4870 1GB? Anyone have any reasons not to go with Gigabyte?

Thanks again!