Need serious help choosing DDR3 RAM for new build

Guys, i'm getting a new rig and need to pick up some good memory.

Specs are:

CP: Core i7-975 Extreme
MB: ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 (best, because of fitting issues into Antec 1200)
Cooling: Air

Now the RAM questions:

Money not being an issue, Which one of the two woukd you pick:

Mushkin Redline 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800), 1.65V, 6-7-6-18 - ($199)
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800), 1.65V, 8-8-8-24 - ($170)

Or go balls out and get:

G.SKILL Perfect Storm 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000), 1.65v, 7-8-7-20 - ($399)
OCZ Blade Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000), 1.65, 8-9-8-24 - ($435)

^^
The main concern here is if these speeds can be achieved on my setup.
9 answers Last reply
More about need choosing ddr3 build
  1. IMO that that board runs super stable with the Dominators....

And for that price you can buy 2 sets easy....

If you only plan on installing 6GB and money grows in your backyard then get the G.Skills....
  2. Yeah, I do plan to go 6GB only since I don't do any video editiong and the most tasking processes would be the games.

And yeah, money is not an issue at all.
  3. BTW, I understand that to reach these high-end RAM speeds I would need to up my CPU core voltage significantly - not sure how that would fly on Air cooling.

Any more thoughs?
  4. Don't worry about it.... many peeps overclock their i7's to insane speeds on air cooling.....its just a matter of monitoring your temps every now n then....

Btw you won't really need to do much to that 975 since it is stupid fast out of the box...

On a side note :

If money is not an issue get an EVGA Classified motherboard.... as far as x58 goes the Classified is second to none...
  5. the Classified has issues fitting into Antec 1200 (since the case is not e-ATX)
  6. But then again if money is not an issue you should not be getting a 1200....

This would be better suited for a Classified and very nice piece of art...

LIAN LI PC-P80 Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112159

or

Thermaltake SwordM VD5000BNA Black/ Silver Aluminum Extrusion ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133049
  7. OvrClkr said:
    But then again if money is not an issue you should not be getting a 1200....

Antec 1200 is simply awesome for aircooling (and that's what I need since I can't go water)

Another choice is ABS Canyon (Lian-Li) but it's not so good for cable management.

The ones you suggested don't look too good for aircooling.
  8. The Thermaltake sword has Massive airflow.... the top panel can fit 4 120mm fans alone...the side can fit 6 120mm and trust me, airflow will not be an issue...

The sword has an astounding number of places for fans(12 120mm), meaning you will actually have a small tornado living in your room......
  9. I too am trying to select the right memory here for an i7 920, ASUS P6T board. Looking to not spend more than $250, and typically like to run Corsair. I'm still on XP Pro, so 3GB's is the most I can run, if I understand it correctly. I'm comfortable with OC's.

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated!
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory DDR3 RAM New Build Product