7800 GS artifacts like crazy during 3D games

PizzaOfHut

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
My new EVGA 7800 GS has a strange problem with artifacting. Whenever I run DirectX or OpenGL apps when running with the latest drivers on EVGA's website, I will get all manner of artifacts and ATItool tests will fail. However, with no changes to my system other than downgrading the drivers to the 17x.xx or lower, the card will run fine in all modes. I have an Asus P4S800D-X mainboard, an Intel P4 3.0 GHz (Northwood), and an Antec Earthwatts 500W PSU.

I believe the issue is being caused by either insufficient power, or is a BIOS issue; based on some calls I made to EVGA, and to some people I know. I had my PSU hooked up to a voltage meter a while back and it came out OK. I haven't noticed any voltage drops since, so I'm a bit hesitant to buy a new PSU.

On the other hand, I've heard of people fixing this issue by "upgrading to the latest BIOS". Problem is, there is ver. 1005, which is the latest release quality BIOS (which I have), and there is ver. 1006.002, which is the latest beta BIOS. I have never seen anyone specify which of these is "the latest BIOS", and am a bit hesitant to use a beta BIOS.

If anyone has any insight or advice for me on this issue, it would be greatly appreciated.

PizzaOfHut

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
My power supply is an Antec Earthwatts 500W unit, which I purchased new last August.

The card I have currently was actually sent to me by EVGA as a replacement card for a 7800 GS I had RMA'd to them for similar issues. I contacted them about it, but they insisted that they stress tested it before sending it out the door, and thought it may have been a problem with the voltage on my 12V rail. I had given them values from my BIOS hardware monitor, which they based their conclusion off of, but it has since been brought to my attention that BIOS voltage meters are notoriously inaccurate.

PizzaOfHut

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
I tried using the defaults, and there were still problems. I'm not sure if I'm quite ready to accept that it's a bad video card just yet, as this 7800 GS was the result of an RMA of another 7800 GS that was having similar problems, and had some bad onboard memory. Aside from the artifacting, this card runs at more normal specs that the RMA'd card, such as GPU temp and default memory clock speeds. Besides, I believe they stress test all RMA replacements before shipping them out.

That being said, I am also not yet ready to rule out the possibility that EVGA flubbed up and replaced an RMA'd bad card with another bad card, but I would like to eliminate all other possibilities before trying to talk EVGA into taking it back (as well as spending the money to ship it back out to California).

G

It isn't your card, it's Nvidia's buggy new drivers. They aren't working right for 7 Series Apg cards..
We've got nearly identical systems, and the latest drivers bring up artifacts and crap on any game.
It's a shame really.. they don't really seem to care enough to even SAY anything. Trying to kill off the ones with "outdated" AGP if you ask me.

Dukwan

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
have you overclocked your pc? if so, it could be the culprit. memory is a big factor... try to run the memory timings and voltage settings on stock