Hitachi Deskstar vs Western Digital Caviar Black. Opinions please

timshel

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2010
hi-
does anyone have opinions / thoughts about whether there are significant qualitative differences between the HITACHI Deskstar 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" HD and the Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7,200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive? I ask primarily because the pricing on Hitachi's after rebates, etc. seem to put that drive at about half the cost of the Caviar Black.

thanks

blackmancer

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2008
wow, half... that's hard to argue with if cost is your primary purchasing reason. I have 2 WDs and I got them coz they were reasonable fast, i traditionally buy WD, and they had 5yr warranty. i didn't buy WD when 1yr warranty seemed to be their standard.

timshel

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2010
yeah. i pretty much always get wd drives - i suspect in part because they and seagate have a lot more visibility and marketplace dominance to end consumers but, truth be told, i've never had any problems with any of the hitachi drives (which seem to be the 'stock' drive for a lot of pefab consumer pcs over the years) but those were all smaller drives and i really never had any problems with any but one small drive over the last 15 years so i don't really know whether hitachi is comparable to wd when it comes to these multiplatter larger drives but i'm willing to take a shot unless someone knows something i don't.

as for warranty, i believe it's 3 years which seems fine to me.

johnnyg77083

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
I have ordered 2 Hitachi drives recently and they're terrible. First one was DOA and the 2nd one worked for 15 minutes and then started making a knocking noise which got worse over 10 minutes then the drive stopped working completely.

I will no be ordering any more Hitachi drives and I'm considering the WD Caviar 2TB.

Just my experience.

P0P01

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2011
It sounds terrible. I was on the same question about 1TB Hitachi because i have one WD 640black and it came with problem. Now it is replaced with new one from the service. And i bought Hitachi 1TB which is really noisy and it makes me nervous. The WD black was so quiet. :pfff:

Chinsane

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
I have a WD 500GB Black, 2 1TB Black, 2 2TB Black and a 300GB Velociraptor running 24/7/365, with maybe a computer restart after 16 days or so, barring any power outages. Not a single bad sector not tick or noise, and they run very cool. I've seen folks get bad drives in reviews, but thats less than 1% of the total drives sold so...it's not really something to be concerned with. WD Black Edition drives are their Enterprise Edition drives, designed for high end computing and server use. They are built like tanks. The oldest of mine has been on for over 4 years now non-stop.

I've had Hitachi in the past, they work I guess. My uncle has one. It works....noisy as hell, but works. His is the 640GB. Hitachi are made for the OEM market. They are basic pc user drives and work for that purpose, but if you want to do anything like gaming or video/audio editing, I would strongly recommend the WD Blk drives to you.

tomate2

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
i got a hitachi desktar 1tb and i just use it to store movies pictures and stuffs... things which i dont want to clutter on my main drive
ive had it for about half a year and it works perfectly and about the noise...
cant really listen to it... i think its quite quiet... my amd stock cooler is the noisiest thing in my machine so i cant really listen to the noise produced by the hdd