good pay newsgroup?

If I should decide to subscribe to a newsgroup are there any you all
would recommend and conversly any I should avoid?
22 answers Last reply
More about good newsgroup

    I have always had Outlook Express and Newsgroups available through my server
    until I went with Microsoft DSL.

    That was when I learned (from this newsgroup thank you very much!) about
    Individual News Server. That is the extent of my knowledge.

    I am seeing that I am going to have to do something, whether it be staying
    on with Individual or finding someone else.
    I thought as long as I am going to be paying might as well shop around.

    "JulyRaine" <julyraine@msn.com> wrote in message
    > If I should decide to subscribe to a newsgroup are there any you all
    > would recommend and conversly any I should avoid?

    Newsgroup? Do you mean website?

    "Ohmikeghod" <ohmikeghod@mirthlink.net> wrote in message
    > "JulyRaine" <julyraine@msn.com> wrote in message
    > > If I should decide to subscribe to a newsgroup are there any you all
    > > would recommend and conversly any I should avoid?
    > >
    > Newsgroup? Do you mean website?

    ==
    Yes, I guess I do, and I didn't understand how to check my plonk file in
    your last post to me.
    I am using my outlook express reader and it is working fine. So maybe it is
    that setting.
    Thanks I'll keep looking

    "JulyRaine" <julyraine@msn.com> wrote:

    >If I should decide to subscribe to a newsgroup are there any you all
    >would recommend and conversly any I should avoid?

    Do you mean a news server? news.individual.de has served me well for the
    last couple of years, and I have subscribed to the paid service; they
    offer all newsgroups which I frequent, answer fast to requests and are
    generally very reliable.

    Regarding your problems with not seeing your posts: Your messages show up
    fine. If you look for them in Google, you can see that they are
    distributed. I suspect that there is a problem with your newsreader; if
    Thunderbird has an option such as "download all messages for a group", do
    this once to synchronise it with the server. (Or, as someone else
    suggested, you may have set an option so that the program hides your own
    posts.)

    --
    Philipp Lucas
    phlucas@online-club.de

    "Philipp Lucas" <phlucas@online-club.de> wrote in message
    > "JulyRaine" <julyraine@msn.com> wrote:
    >
    > >If I should decide to subscribe to a newsgroup are there any you all
    > >would recommend and conversly any I should avoid?
    >
    > Do you mean a news server? news.individual.de has served me well for the
    > last couple of years, and I have subscribed to the paid service; they
    > offer all newsgroups which I frequent, answer fast to requests and are
    > generally very reliable.
    >
    > Regarding your problems with not seeing your posts: Your messages show up
    > fine. If you look for them in Google, you can see that they are
    > distributed. I suspect that there is a problem with your newsreader; if
    > Thunderbird has an option such as "download all messages for a group", do
    > this once to synchronise it with the server. (Or, as someone else
    > suggested, you may have set an option so that the program hides your own
    > posts.)
    >
    > --
    > Philipp Lucas
    > phlucas@online-club.de
    ===
    Thanks, your post caused me to check my Outlook Express reader and you are
    right as it works fine. Now to figure out what happened because I do like
    Thunderbird.

    > Thanks, your post caused me to check my Outlook Express reader and
    > you are right as it works fine. Now to figure out what happened
    > because I do like Thunderbird.

    I like Thunderbird, too, and I use it for email, but I found that it didn't
    work well for newsgroups. It kept timing out when I went to the next unread
    message. I tweaked the settings several times and never could get it to
    work the way I wanted it to. So I went back to OE for newsgroups, but I'm
    still using Thunderbird for mail and Firefox as my browser. I haven't had
    any trouble with Firefox and have found that it works much better for java
    games that I sometimes play online.

    Jeanie

    > > Thanks, your post caused me to check my Outlook Express reader and
    > > you are right as it works fine. Now to figure out what happened
    > > because I do like Thunderbird.
    >
    > I like Thunderbird, too, and I use it for email, but I found that it
    didn't
    > work well for newsgroups. It kept timing out when I went to the next
    unread
    > message. I tweaked the settings several times and never could get it to
    > work the way I wanted it to. So I went back to OE for newsgroups, but I'm
    > still using Thunderbird for mail and Firefox as my browser. I haven't had
    > any trouble with Firefox and have found that it works much better for java
    > games that I sometimes play online.
    >
    > Jeanie

    ==
    I use it because my IM isn't activated by opening it up. I HATE that thing.
    And I don't use that word often!

    "JulyRaine" <JulyRaine@JulyRaine.Com> wrote:

    >"Philipp Lucas" <phlucas@online-club.de> wrote in message
    >> Regarding your problems with not seeing your posts: Your messages show up
    >> fine.
    >Thanks, your post caused me to check my Outlook Express reader and you are
    >right as it works fine. Now to figure out what happened because I do like
    >Thunderbird.

    Newsserver number their messages sequentially. For example, this your
    message is number 269624 on news.individual.de. When you retrieve new
    messages, the newsreader gets all messages with a higher number than it
    has retrieved so far; Thunderbird may simply be out of sync with the
    server. (This fits to you seeing your post in a.g.ts2.) Try unsubscribing
    and subscribing again to this group, or choose a "synchronise" option, if
    available.

    --

    > "JulyRaine" <JulyRaine@JulyRaine.Com> wrote:
    >
    > >"Philipp Lucas" <phlucas@online-club.de> wrote in message
    > >> Regarding your problems with not seeing your posts: Your messages show
    up
    > >> fine.
    > >Thanks, your post caused me to check my Outlook Express reader and you
    are
    > >right as it works fine. Now to figure out what happened because I do
    like
    > >Thunderbird.
    >
    > Newsserver number their messages sequentially. For example, this your
    > message is number 269624 on news.individual.de. When you retrieve new
    > messages, the newsreader gets all messages with a higher number than it
    > has retrieved so far; Thunderbird may simply be out of sync with the
    > server. (This fits to you seeing your post in a.g.ts2.) Try unsubscribing
    > and subscribing again to this group, or choose a "synchronise" option, if
    > available.
    >
    > --
    > Philipp Lucas
    > phlucas@online-club.de
    ==
    Thank you Philipp, I will try that :)

    "Philipp Lucas" <phlucas@online-club.de> wrote in message
    > "JulyRaine" <JulyRaine@JulyRaine.Com> wrote:
    >
    > >"Philipp Lucas" <phlucas@online-club.de> wrote in message
    > >> Regarding your problems with not seeing your posts: Your messages show
    up
    > >> fine.
    > >Thanks, your post caused me to check my Outlook Express reader and you
    are
    > >right as it works fine. Now to figure out what happened because I do
    like
    > >Thunderbird.
    >
    > Newsserver number their messages sequentially. For example, this your
    > message is number 269624 on news.individual.de. When you retrieve new
    > messages, the newsreader gets all messages with a higher number than it
    > has retrieved so far; Thunderbird may simply be out of sync with the
    > server. (This fits to you seeing your post in a.g.ts2.) Try unsubscribing
    > and subscribing again to this group, or choose a "synchronise" option, if
    > available.
    >
    > --
    > Philipp Lucas
    > phlucas@online-club.de
    ==
    a newsgroup any more. Weird as I tried other ones and I can subscribe to
    them.
    Guess I'll just use OE, and leave my IM signed in all the time with it set
    for appearing offline.

    "JulyRaine" <JulyRaine@JulyRaine.Com> wrote in message

    > "Ohmikeghod" <ohmikeghod@mirthlink.net> wrote in message
    > > "JulyRaine" <julyraine@msn.com> wrote in message
    > > > If I should decide to subscribe to a newsgroup are there any you all
    > > > would recommend and conversly any I should avoid?
    > > >
    > > Newsgroup? Do you mean website?
    > ==
    > Yes, I guess I do, and I didn't understand how to check my plonk file in
    > your last post to me.

    Click on "Tools", then "Message Rules"/"Blocked Senders List...". This will
    provide you a list of everyone you have blocked. Check to see if all the
    names there are correct.

    Thanks Ohmikeghod, all clear :)

    "JulyRaine" <julyraine@msn.com> wrote in message
    > If I should decide to subscribe to a newsgroup are there any you all
    > would recommend and conversly any I should avoid?

    I'm getting Giganews free via my ISP (Comcast), but I'd pay for them if I
    didn't, I think. They're VERY good about adding new groups, which is nice -
    I get both Sims2 groups (binary & text).

    Joanna

    "Allura nee Gwendolyn nee Veren" <AlluraUni@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > "JulyRaine" <julyraine@msn.com> wrote in message
    > > If I should decide to subscribe to a newsgroup are there any you all
    > > would recommend and conversly any I should avoid?
    >
    > I'm getting Giganews free via my ISP (Comcast), but I'd pay for them if I
    > didn't, I think. They're VERY good about adding new groups, which is
    nice -
    > I get both Sims2 groups (binary & text).
    >
    > Joanna

    Thanks...binaries would be nice

    JulyRaine wrote:
    > "Jeanie" <Nobody@home.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> Thanks, your post caused me to check my Outlook Express reader and
    >>> you are right as it works fine. Now to figure out what happened
    >>> because I do like Thunderbird.
    >>
    >> I like Thunderbird, too, and I use it for email, but I found that it
    >> didn't work well for newsgroups. It kept timing out when I went to
    >> the next unread message. I tweaked the settings several times and
    >> never could get it to work the way I wanted it to. So I went back
    >> to OE for newsgroups, but I'm still using Thunderbird for mail and
    >> Firefox as my browser. I haven't had any trouble with Firefox and
    >> have found that it works much better for java games that I sometimes
    >> play online.
    >>
    >> Jeanie
    >>
    > ==
    > I use it because my IM isn't activated by opening it up. I HATE that
    > thing. And I don't use that word often!

    Uninstall it through Add/Remove Programs. I did. I never use it, don't
    have a "passport" and don't want one. There's no sense in having something
    open and eating resources if you don't have to.

    Jeanie

    > JulyRaine wrote:
    > > "Jeanie" <Nobody@home.com> wrote in message

    > >> I like Thunderbird, too, and I use it for email, but I found that it
    > >> didn't work well for newsgroups. It kept timing out when I went to
    > >> the next unread message. I tweaked the settings several times and
    > >> never could get it to work the way I wanted it to. So I went back
    > >> to OE for newsgroups, but I'm still using Thunderbird for mail and
    > >> Firefox as my browser. I haven't had any trouble with Firefox and
    > >> have found that it works much better for java games that I sometimes
    > >> play online.
    > >>
    > >> Jeanie
    > >>
    > > ==
    > > I use it because my IM isn't activated by opening it up. I HATE that
    > > thing. And I don't use that word often!
    >
    > Uninstall it through Add/Remove Programs. I did. I never use it, don't
    > have a "passport" and don't want one. There's no sense in having
    something
    > open and eating resources if you don't have to.
    >
    > Jeanie

    ==
    Oh that I could! It's connected to my ability to get e-mail. I talked to
    MSN support and they said I had to have it. Can you believe that!

    > JulyRaine wrote:
    > > "Jeanie" <Nobody@home.com> wrote in message

    > >> I like Thunderbird, too, and I use it for email, but I found that it
    > >> didn't work well for newsgroups. It kept timing out when I went to
    > >> the next unread message. I tweaked the settings several times and
    > >> never could get it to work the way I wanted it to. So I went back
    > >> to OE for newsgroups, but I'm still using Thunderbird for mail and
    > >> Firefox as my browser. I haven't had any trouble with Firefox and
    > >> have found that it works much better for java games that I sometimes
    > >> play online.
    > >>
    > >> Jeanie
    > >>
    > > ==
    > > I use it because my IM isn't activated by opening it up. I HATE that
    > > thing. And I don't use that word often!
    >
    > Uninstall it through Add/Remove Programs. I did. I never use it, don't
    > have a "passport" and don't want one. There's no sense in having
    something
    > open and eating resources if you don't have to.
    >
    > Jeanie

    ==
    You got me to thinking about checking the settings and I was able to make it
    where I am invisible, now I'm happy :)

    Jeanie wrote:
    >> I use it because my IM isn't activated by opening it up. I HATE that
    >> thing. And I don't use that word often!
    >
    > Uninstall it through Add/Remove Programs. I did. I never use it,
    > don't have a "passport" and don't want one. There's no sense in
    > having something open and eating resources if you don't have to.

    Assuming you both have XP as you probably didn't install it yourselves, you
    can't get rid of windows messenger through add/remove windows components.
    It just removes it from the start menu. You can get rid of it using
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_mess_disable.htm.

    "Will Bradshaw" <spam@beasolutions.com> wrote in message
    > Jeanie wrote:
    > >> I use it because my IM isn't activated by opening it up. I HATE that
    > >> thing. And I don't use that word often!
    > >
    > > Uninstall it through Add/Remove Programs. I did. I never use it,
    > > don't have a "passport" and don't want one. There's no sense in
    > > having something open and eating resources if you don't have to.
    >
    > Assuming you both have XP as you probably didn't install it yourselves,
    you
    > can't get rid of windows messenger through add/remove windows components.
    > It just removes it from the start menu. You can get rid of it using
    > http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_mess_disable.htm.

    ==
    Thank you for your suggestion, but am using Win 2000, a-a-and MSN told me it
    was necessary for my e-mail to function :(

    "Will Bradshaw" <spam@beasolutions.com> wrote in message

    > Assuming you both have XP as you probably didn't install it yourselves,
    > you can't get rid of windows messenger through add/remove windows
    > components. It just removes it from the start menu. You can get rid of it
    > using http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_mess_disable.htm.

    Oh, goodie!! Thank you.
    But will it stay removed? The infuriating thing has had more rebirths than
    Dracula.

    Drive a stake through its heart, reboot, and there it is again, grinning at
    you.

    Granny

    Granny Crabapple wrote:
    >> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_mess_disable.htm.
    > But will it stay removed?

    AFAIK, it does not come back after running that.

    > Granny Crabapple wrote:
    >>> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_mess_disable.htm.
    >> But will it stay removed?
    >
    > AFAIK, it does not come back after running that.
    Hot Dog!

    I really must reincarnate Mr Burns....

    GCA

Sims Newsgroup Games Video Games