Sign in with
Your question

SuperMicro X7DCA-3, enabling SAS non-raid

Last response: in Motherboards
August 2, 2009 9:11:43 AM

Hello, I recently purchased a X7DCA-3 motherboard and have 4 SATA hard drives attached to an SAS port (LSI 1068E). I also have one hard drive attached to a SATA port. I booted into DOS to see if it recognizes all the hard drives, and unfortunately it only registers the SATA drive (not too shocking). I loaded on OpenSolaris and it still only recognizes the one SATA drive.

http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon1333...

There is nothing in the BIOS about the SAS port. Now if I hit ctrl-M it takes me into a RAID software screen where I can set up a RAID array. I figure the reason the OS's aren't recognizing the 4 hard drives is because the SAS controller views them as not set up. In the RAID software however there is no way to set them to individual drives or to a JBOD mode.

I am wondering if anyone has purchased and used these boards? Do I need to try and update the LSI or motherboard BIOS (I am always apprehensive about that.)

Thanks for your time
a c 229 V Motherboard
August 2, 2009 1:39:13 PM

Can't you configure each hard disk as non-RAID unit?
m
l
August 2, 2009 7:00:50 PM

In the software RAID screen the closest I can get is by putting one drive 'online' and making it a RAID 0 array. I realize that makes no sense, but apparently my motherboard thinks it does.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a c 229 V Motherboard
August 2, 2009 7:09:58 PM

Does it complain about a broken RAID0 when you power up the system? If not, then it might work fine. If you won't use RAID, why not use the ICH? Will run run OpenSolaris on that system?
m
l
August 2, 2009 7:52:46 PM

I want to use the 1068E because it then gives me a lot of room to add more hard drives should I want it. As it is I am using 2-3 SATA ports out of a total of 6. Also from what Ive read the 1068E is a better controller in terms of performance.

I feel uncomfortable about assigning a single hard drive to be RAID 0 as I am afraid it is doing something unsavory in the background. Ive tried setting it up like that and OpenSolaris does indeed register the new drives. So I think its a matter of the RAID controller marking the drives as not setup, and since there is no JBOD mode I guess Im out of luck with this. Ill try updating the BIOS
m
l
a c 229 V Motherboard
August 2, 2009 8:43:18 PM

If they work and the BIOS doesn't complain at POST, then don't worry about it.
m
l
August 2, 2009 9:39:15 PM

Well it doesnt complain but having a single hard drive in RAID 0 is a contradiction to the very core of RAID 0. As such I don't know how the RAID card is handling that. It assigns a stripe size and other parameters associated with RAID to this single hard drive.
m
l
a c 229 V Motherboard
August 2, 2009 9:51:28 PM

Quote:
Well it doesnt complain but having a single hard drive in RAID 0 is a contradiction to the very core of RAID 0.
It isn't when using a RAID controller.
m
l
!