New built Q8200, why only 2ghz not 2.333?

petoniano

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
I´ve built a new PC an I´m having some problems. first of all the system is:

Asus P5Q-pro
Asus EAH4850
Q8200 2.3 Ghz box
g skill ddr2 800 cl4 4Gb
Corsair TX 650W
Antec Three hundred Case
Runing windows XP

After instaling everything, first of all, I see with the software provided with the asus mobo that the system is runing at 2.0 ghz (333x6.0) not 2.3. Thats not really a serius problem for me cause i am an intermediate user and i don´t notice the diference but the worst thing is that the system REBOOTS sometimes, most time playing games but not necesary. The temperatures seems normal

Waht can I do? please

thank you all
petoniano

Download memtest86 and run it for a couple of hours. Maybe there's something wrong with the RAM.

It's also possible that the RAM is good but the voltages or timings need to be adjusted.

When the system reboots, is there a blue screen with white text that appears first? If yes, go to the desktop, right-click My Computer, Properties, Advanced, Settings (under Startup and recovery), uncheck "Automatically restart". After that, the next reboot will give you time to read the blue screen first. (You'll have to push the reset button to reboot.) The blue screen may give you some indication of where the error is happening, like a driver or dll name for example.

Wimbo999

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
If, just by chance the missing 0.33Ghz is not caused by speedstep, I used to have a board (ASRock 4Coredual-VSTA) that underclocked my chip when the fsb was locked, if so unlocking it will give you the full power.

petoniano

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
thank You all for your replies.

before reading this i´ve updated the BIOS, there was a newer version in the Asus homesite and uninstalled most of the programs that came with the CD that monitor and let you manipulate the performance (fan speed, CPU, temperaures...)

#aevm there´s no blue screen, is just like if the power suply stops 0,2 sec and then the system reboots automatically (i´m going to change autoreboot anyway)

I´m going to install and run memtest and I´ll tell you the results

thank you again

petoniano

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
I´ve run memtest86 and starts and then runs test #0 and seems ok, and the second one test#1 adress test / own adress around 33% progress reboots the system, same way that the problem i have.

Reading what it says about my memory memtest86 says: 399MHz (DDR-800) CAS 5-5-5-15

I don´t know much about timings (almost nothing) but my memories in the manufacturer box says: "DDR2-800 PC6400 CL4-4-4-12 2.0~2.1V"

should i adjust something about that timings?

thank you