Probelem with my 9600gt

sameerr

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
I have an galaxy 9600gt 512mb .Yesterday while I was playing a game my display went away although there was power in my cpu .Then I rebooted my pc and found that my gpu temperature had risen up to 97 degree Celsius .Somebody Please help .Also my graphic card is still under warranty.

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
You can definitely try a cooling fan directly under the gpu. Though those gpu's do sometimes run hot. However mine only runs in the 40's after a couple of hours of nfs most wanted using max settings. I also have the galaxy card. If the card is actually damaged though, you can always take advantage of the warranty, but remember it's not uncommon for gpu's to run a little hot. But what I have on mine, get a pci slot cooler fan, put it under your card, see if that helps the heat issue out.

Euphoria_MK

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
I would take out the heatsink, clean the GPU, reapply some Artic Silver and put the heatsink back on.
It had happend many times that the Manufacturer slapped some thermal goo that was not properly applied. Also get some compressed canned air and dust off the Heatsink/Fan, if its a new card thought than that shouldn't be the issue.

Good luck!

sameerr

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009

The man from whom I bought my pc (my pc engineer) says that i would have to buy another power supply worth $80 as my current power supply can't give enough power to gpu and as a result the gpu fan is unable to do proper cooling.Please tell me if this is right and would it help me. My pc specs are
e8400 @ 3.00ghz
galaxy 9600 gt with single slot fan
4 gb ram

and i keep it on like 24/7 :D
It would be great if you could tell me which power supply to buy.

We'd need further information on your power supply to be able to determine if this guy is giving you proper information.

Frankly though, if it was truly a power issue, I don't think it would be the fan on the GPU that would suffer. If your GPU wasn't getting enough power, it simply wouldn't work (freeze, crash, scrambled images, etc).

My first attempt to rectify your particular issue would be to determine if the cooling fan on your GPU is dirty. If its got dust and such in it, you'll need to clean that out by blowing compressed air into it. It could be as simple as that.

If that's not the issue, there could be two other fixes. One could be that your computer case simply does not have adequate airflow to allow the GPU to cool itself. This can be rectified by either adding cooling fans or cleaning the existing ones.

The second possible option could be to adjust the fan speed on your GPU so it runs faster. Sometimes the factory default settings keep the fan on the video card from reaching high speeds to make it quieter. If could need to be manually set at 80-100% if your case isn't allowing good airflow.

Back to your power supply though. Can you determine the Brand and Model # of your power supply?

Euphoria_MK

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
Yeah open you case and write down the specs of your power supply.
Although to just power the 9600GT I think you should be fine with just a 400Watt PSU.
If you are to buy I new one I would recomend you at least a 750Watt PSu, so in case you want to SLI in the future, you should be fine.

sameerr

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
It is written

Li Ro Power Supply
P4-450W
and under it some ac input and dc input is written and some values are are also written in their front.

My GPU fan speed is set at 100% which i got done from galaxy only .
Also would I have to remove the heatsink and then remove the dust and if i would have to then please tell me how to remove it.
pLEASE HELP ME