Intel Overclocks Sandy Bridge to 4.9GHz!

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Time to start figuring out ways to patch the holes that are about to be torn in the universe!

Intel is borking OC-ing on Sandy Bridge (FSB-wise anyway) for most, but they will be producing the K-series CPU's with the OC-er in mind.

Looks like they can hit 4.9GHz on stock cooling, that's right, i said STOCK COOLING!

Here's to hoping that Intel will only charge a slight premium for the K-series variants...

more below:
http://vr-zone.com/articles/intel-sandy-bridge-k-overclocked-to-4.9-ghz-on-air/9860.html

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
This might just prevent me from upgrading to i5 760 as i was about to do on Thursday, it all depends on when Sandy Bridge will be offered. I looked for it briefly but could find no definitive answer, has Intel announced an exact date yet on the desktop release of Sandy Bridge?

tecmo34

Administrator
They are making it to easy for us... 4.9 on a stock cooler! We'll all have to move to overclocking with L2N to have any fun now [:mousemonkey:5].

It is very impressive but I'm more interested in seeing what the LGA 2011 has to offer :)

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I dunno, 4.9 on stock cooler means that we might be able to hit 5.5+ on aftermarkets... The new goal/standard will no longer be 4.0-ish but rather 6.0-ish. Quite the jump!

If this is all true then things look very exciting indeed and 2011 might yield better results than 1155

AllanCameron

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010

I heard that you hit the "wall" pretty quickly for Sandy Bridge chips. That is, your water cooling might be 10% better than air, your single stage vapor will be no more than 10% better than water, and cascade or LN2 not much better than cascade.

It's not the removal of the excess heat that is the real stopping block, it's the inability to push it any faster without wrecking the whole thing since so much stuff is tied to the clock.

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
@ jsc, I did notice the "stock" was a little different but maybe this is what they're going to use for stock... So what does that say about aftermarkets, do they get better or does it mean that Intel stock is catching up to them?

@ AllanCameron, we'll have to wait and see for that one, only time can tell...