Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Upgrading from a 6-year old computer

Last response: in Systems
Share
February 24, 2009 12:15:33 PM

Hello everyone,

I am currently running a computer with 1 GB of DDR1 and a 1.7 Ghz AMD processor and figure its time to upgrade. I want to make another computer that will last a few years and be able to play high-end games and I commonly have multiple things going on, like playing music, games, firefox, so I have made this configuration. Please comment on anything you think should be modified due to price, efficiency, compatibility, etc. Thanks.

1. Cooler Master Cosmos S
2. Intel I-7 940
3. Asus Rampage II Extreme
4. 8 GB DDR3-1600 7-7-7-7
5. nvidia Geforce gtx 295 (I use a 22' LCD)
6. 300 GB western digital velociraptor 10K RPM 16MB cache (Running programs and games)
7. 1.5 TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM 32MB cache (Storage/music)
8. Raid 0
9. LG GGC-H20L 6x Blue-ray player and 16x DVD
10. Corsair CMPSU- 1000HSX 1000 watt power supply
11. Creative X-fi Titanium Fatality Professional sound card (optional)
12. Vista Ultimate 64-bit

February 24, 2009 6:28:04 PM

Most people recommend the i7 920, since it has the same overclocking capacity as the 940 for a lower cost. The i7 processors have triple channel memory controllers, so you buy the memory in multiples of 3 GB. 6 GB seems to be the typical amount, but if you had specific non-gaming applications in mind, more might be worthwhile. I'm not sure what drives you want to run in raid 0, but you might want to consider the Intel SSDs if you are really out for storage performance. 1000W is also oversized for a single graphics card, but might be necessary for quad-sli. I've never had the budget to worry about it.
February 24, 2009 6:36:14 PM

+1 for going with the 920.
you could run a p6t deluxe and save yourself some coin there.
if you're going to be overclocking, make sure you add on a heatsink. the coolermaster v8 is a solid offering
I dont know where you'll find 7-7-7-7 timings on DDR3. Corsaid Dominator is good, but that final timing is a wee bit higher ;) ; also, 6 gigs (3x2) is good.
If you aren't capable of 1920x1200 than the gtx 295 is overkill. a monitor upgrade may be in order.
Careful with the 7200.11 series from seagate--they've been a little buggy. perhaps go for 1 (or 2) WD caviar black 1tb.
Try onboard audio before you get a sound card--it's an easy upgrade regardless.
The 1000 watt is a little beefy--you could probably go PCP&C 750, still have overhead, and save some more change.
Related resources
February 24, 2009 6:44:38 PM

I know many people reported issues (or used to) about Creative and Vista, so you might want to take a look at other brands or even consider on-board (depending on how sensitive are your ears).

Unless there are a couple of features of Vista Business you need/want, stick with Vista Home Premium.

As atomiktoaster said, get RAM as either 3GB, 6GB or 12GB for triple-channel compatibility. Also make sure the RAM doesn't use more than 1.65V, the maximum supported by i7.

A GTX295 might be a bit overkill for a 22" monitor, you could get a GTX285 now and add another one later if you feel the need to (and the prices might have dropped by then).
February 24, 2009 6:52:55 PM

superwaffles said:
Hello everyone,

I am currently running a computer with 1 GB of DDR1 and a 1.7 Ghz AMD processor and figure its time to upgrade. I want to make another computer that will last a few years and be able to play high-end games and I commonly have multiple things going on, like playing music, games, firefox, so I have made this configuration. Please comment on anything you think should be modified due to price, efficiency, compatibility, etc. Thanks.

1. Cooler Master Cosmos S
2. Intel I-7 940
3. Asus Rampage II Extreme
4. 8 GB DDR3-1600 7-7-7-7
5. nvidia Geforce gtx 295 (I use a 22' LCD)
6. 300 GB western digital velociraptor 10K RPM 16MB cache (Running programs and games)
7. 1.5 TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM 32MB cache (Storage/music)
8. Raid 0
9. LG GGC-H20L 6x Blue-ray player and 16x DVD
10. Corsair CMPSU- 1000HSX 1000 watt power supply
11. Creative X-fi Titanium Fatality Professional sound card (optional)
12. Vista Ultimate 64-bit

February 24, 2009 6:56:11 PM

-Use the onboard sound, it will be perfect unless you have some Killer speakers.
-Asus p6t deluxe
-i7 920
-6GB of Dominator Ram
-avoid the 7200.11's- Get a 7200.12 seagate or a different brand preferably.
-I agree with techwizard08, PC Power and cooling silencer 750 is sufficient with one Video card.
-Xigmatek heatsink, reasonably priced and they make great heatsinks.
February 24, 2009 6:56:51 PM



Almost missed that ;) 

Seriously, now I'm intrigued by what wisdom you may bring to the table.
February 24, 2009 6:57:23 PM

The Cooler Master Cosmos case doesn't flow air very well. I just finished five machines with the case and would have made the suggestion to get something else before these were purchased, if I had known.
February 24, 2009 6:59:08 PM

Well, compared to what? A HAF/1200? That's a common tradeoff of insulated cases.
February 24, 2009 6:59:20 PM

I'd also reccomend the 920 - spend some of the saved cash on better cooling. Also, since your using a triple channel memory controller, i'd go with triple channel DDR3, i may well be wrong, but triple channel DDR3 kits only come in 3 x 1Gb or 3 x 2Gb sizes, leaving you with the option of either 3, 6 or 9Gb (or 12 if your nuts). In witch case i'd opt for 6Gb of a brand such as Corsair and their dominator line.

I also have a 920 and a rampage 2 extreme and its an awesome combo. Ultra stable and awesome overclocking potential. Expensive but it'll be like night and day from your AMD chip.

February 24, 2009 7:07:59 PM

techwizard08 said:
Well, compared to what? A HAF/1200? That's a common tradeoff of insulated cases.


Compared to the HOT AIR coming off your keyboard perhaps...The OP asked, we responded, why don't you tell us what we need...
February 24, 2009 7:17:00 PM

marcellis22 said:
Compared to the HOT AIR coming off your keyboard perhaps...The OP asked, we responded, why don't you tell us what we need...


And perhaps if your head wasn't situated in the same place as your avatar you would have understood my point.


With cases such as the Cosmos or P180/82, they make a trade between insulation for acoustic control and thermal performance as opposed to open designs like an Antec 1200/ HAF932 of CM Sniper. Still, the insulated cases still offer good thermal performance, though obviously not as much as those cases that are vented everywhere.

I suggest you make it clearer to the OP that the case is not an oven, and is still capable of his needs. And if you truly feel the airflow is so restrictive as to prevent the OC he wishes, say so.

But not qualifying your remarks is a waste of time. You could have either made a comparison to another well-ventilated case, as I had asked, or just said nothing. :) 
February 24, 2009 9:10:59 PM

techwizard08 said:

And perhaps if your head wasn't situated in the same place as your avatar you would have understood my point.


LOL
February 24, 2009 9:18:53 PM

marcellis22 said:
The Cooler Master Cosmos case doesn't flow air very well. I just finished five machines with the case and would have made the suggestion to get something else before these were purchased, if I had known.


I agree, I bought this case for myself. When i first purchased the case i was pleased with its appearance and ease to build with. Soon I found it too large and is not as quiet as i had hoped for. Without question, this case has terrible airflow, I was shocked, my temps suck! I have since stopped recommending Cosmos and have been debating what new case i will purchase for myself even.
February 24, 2009 9:27:52 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm going to look it all over and remake my build, so hopefully next time I post it'll look better to everyone. The case issue especially was a surprise so I'll make sure to look over everything. Thanks again for the help, and i'll post the new build soon.
February 24, 2009 9:59:04 PM

@grieve

I found the noise reduction to be pretty good compared to the highly vented cases (Antec nine/twelve hundreds).

Did you find it more noisy compared to a previous recommended case, or could it just have been some noisy components (like the 48xx series?)
February 24, 2009 10:12:51 PM

8 gigs is a bit overkill isnt it?
February 25, 2009 2:32:14 PM

techwizard08 said:
@grieve

I found the noise reduction to be pretty good compared to the highly vented cases (Antec nine/twelve hundreds).

Did you find it more noisy compared to a previous recommended case, or could it just have been some noisy components (like the 48xx series?)


I find it far better then my old Antec 900.

I have a 4870x2 which is causing the noise and mega heat. I had to add more fans as running the case"silent" was going to fry my gear lol. I would prefer the 900 or 1200.
February 25, 2009 4:52:34 PM

See, I think it important things like that be presented in order to accurately judge it. For an OC-er running some demanding settings, obviously an open-air case would be preferable.

But not everyone has a hard drive beefy enough to lift weights ;) 
February 25, 2009 4:53:24 PM

Ignore hard drive, and substitute in graphics card.

It makes more sense that way =D
February 25, 2009 8:14:36 PM

Indeed, the 900/1200 are ideal for overclockers. Cosmos is good for someone running a "mid-range" build who would prefer silence over temps. Cosmos would be a killer case for a water loop also.
!