533 ram on new p5q-e?

kalaktapus

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
I'm relativity new to building my own PC's, and am upgrading my CPU/MB but would rather hold out on purchasing new RAM at the moment.

The mobo is listed to work with 1200/1066/800/667 MHz DDR2, but what if i try the 533? can anyone tell me what are the repercussions if any of using my old KVR533D2N4/1G (4x1GB 533MHz DDR2) RAM on my new P5Q-E/Q9550 combo

Will it work, work but poorly, not work at all, or make the whole thing blow up?

kalaktapus

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009

thanks

tonkatuffmofo

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2008
Apache you are wise beyond your years.

BUY SOME NEW RAM YA CHEAP PRICK!!!!!!!

STEAL IT IF YOU HAVE TO!

WHAT YOU ARE ATTEMPTING CONTITUTES MOTHERBOARD CRUELTY!!!!

I shall stop yelling now.

You may get it to work but I doubt it.

Using a Q9550 your FSB will be running at 333Mhz which gives you a minimum RAM speed of 667Mhz.
If you can get it to overclock to the minimum required 667Mhz, it should work until you can save up an extra $20-50.
As your current RAM is only rated to run at 533Mhz, however, I am assuming it is bottom of the barrel value RAM and can not handle much overclocking.
Most likely you will not be able to get your system to POST.

I would recommend just biting the bullet and getting some new RAM.
You can get some great 4Gb kits for $40 ($50 before MIR) or some cheap 2Gb kits from $20 to tide you over.

Probably less, actually.
RAM speed has very little impact on the performance of Core 2 systems.
And, as you say, the lower latency makes up for all the performance that faster RAM has.

The problem is that he wants to use 533Mhz RAM, most likely an ultra cheap value kit, in a system that requires a minimum of 667Mhz RAM.
If it is unable to overclock to 667Mhz at 1.8v with 5-5-5-18 timings (jedec standards for DDR2 667), he is SOL and will not be able to POST or access his BIOS.
If he can not access his BIOS, he can not lower the timings/raise the voltage enough to get a stable overclock.

Why not let him try it? He's got nothing to lose. The worst that can happen is a system that won't POST and then he'll have to buy new memory. Unless we try it ourselves (I don't have DDR2-533 modules), we can't say for sure that it definitely won't work.

kalaktapus

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
thanks all ! (except the tonka d-bag)

i'll find out whether or not it will POST pretty soon, and if it does it looks like someone has managed to overclock this ram before ( http://xtreview.com/review178.htm ), i'll see how far that takes me.

weather or not it works though i'm selling off all the old parts on craigslist as i will need something more powerful than the bare minimum for CAD and Adobe workflow eventually.

tonkatuffmofo

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2008

Oh come on! No sense of humour!

Ok my two cents then. As the bloke up the page said your goona need 667mhz of speed out of it to get it to post. If your absolutely that desperate then one of these two options will work.

1. As already suggested o/c the ram to 333mhz in your bios (or 667 depending on how your bios displays your ram speed) relax your timings by a good 1-2 cas points and it should work, if it doesnt refer step 2.

Only if your REALLY desperate do this one.

2. Wind your FSB back to a speed your ram can handle, this will most definitely work BUT you will be underclocking your shiny new CPU. Wont hurt it, just a waste of good cpu is all!

Now do I get a thankyou? :bounce: