DVD recognized in BIOS but not windows 7

madcat75

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
I don't know if the IT guys who moved my computer parts into a new case messed something up, but I can put my motherboard CD into the DVD drive during startup and have it read it just fine. But in windows 7 I don't see the DVD drive in device manager, disk management or my computer at all. I've tried all kinds of self-fixes when I search google, but to no avail. I need someone to help me before I lose my mind! The drive is a samsung SH-S222A.

1haplo

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
Try this
# Click Start
Collapse this imageExpand this image
Start button
, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then click regedit in the Programs list.

Collapse this imageExpand this image
User Account Control permission
If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.
# Locate, and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Caution There can be many instances of the registry subkey that is mentioned in step 2. You must make sure that you are in the appropriate registry subkey before modifying the UpperFilters and the LowerFilters values. To verify that you are in the appropriate registry subkey, make sure that the Default data value is DVD/CD-ROM and the Class data value is CDROM.
# In the right pane, right-click UpperFilters, and then click Delete.
# Click Yes to confirm the removal of the UpperFilters registry entry.
# In the right pane, right-click LowerFilters, and then click Delete.
# Click Yes to confirm the removal of the LowerFilters registry entry.
# Exit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer

madcat75

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
That won't help me because there are no lowerfilters or upperfilters in that category in the registry. And no I'm not dumb either, I made sure I am in the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} section.

Madcat75, 1hapio suggestion of caution when modifying the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} section is valid as it is very easy to delete the wrong entry and totally destroy your Windows installation. Sometimes the Microsoft fix does not always work and you have to modify the registry manually as Madcat75 suggested.

Did this CD driver ever work with Windows 7? And does it work in another machine?

Another possible cause of this problem is if the master/slave jumpers on the drive are incorrectly set.

madcat75

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
Yes, it worked fine before some IT guys moved all my computer parts into a new case. I checked the IDE connection, it's securley on there. Like I said I can read a bootable CD off it but just doesn't show up in device manager in windows...

As the drive worked before then logically the problem must be something the IT guys did when moving the parts to a new case. Check that the CD drive is set to master and that it is connected to the LAST connector on the cable and that there is no other device connected on the cable.

Are there any conflicts (yellow !) in the device manager? If yes, that may be your DVD drive.

If not, right click on the computer icon, and search for new hardware.

Does it show up in disk management, in either the top or bottom window?

If you remember the drive letter it used to be, you can put in a disc, and use the run command, or CMD prompt to browse out to that drive letter.

G

Same case, I can see while booting that it recognizes the DVD Drive, but Windows 7 cannot find it.

I tried this fix, and the problem still persists...

I already checked the cables, the computer was working before, I just moved it to a new location (new house).

Parallel to this problem ist that when I first turned the computer on, it lost the BIOS configuration, so I set up the date again, as well as the information regarding the boot HD and boot sequence.