GA-M61P-S3 F7F Bios - Phenom II Compatibility

steven zwickel

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
Is anyone able to confirm a working platform for Phenom II X4 using the GA-M61P-S3. I have recently flashed to BIOS version F7F. It's running stable and now allows me to enable virtualization support and a few other features that I didn't have. On the Gigabyte board site this bios revision has the following listed:

"Update CPU ID (Support AGESA 3.3.2.4 code AM3 CPU)"

I'm not sure which AM3 CPUs that applies too.

Also BIOS version F6 includes the following:

"Update CPU ID (Support AM2 G1/G2-Stepping CPU) "

I've been unable to find any confirmation of a working system using Phenom II X4 940 (AM2+) or X3 720 (AM3). Anyone have these or any other Phenom II chips working in this board? Anyone have a strong reason to believe that they would work based on the information provided?

bilbat

Splendid
Likely problem is no one knows, or can find out what "AGESA 3.3.2.4" is! I've looked fairly extensively; is quoted in a number BIOS release documents, mostly from GB, as well as a couple of Asus', but so far I come up empty; that is one of the (myriad) reasons I stick to Intel, both for my own toys, and for industrial client pieces - I recently decided to start looking into the i7/x58 architecture, and pulled down more than 50MB of docs - over 5000 pages - from Intel; the main problem then becomes 'sifting' and figuring out what matters, but at least the info is there, and painfully public; AMD - not so much, and nVidia - forget it - I think the effing NSA is running nVidia, you can't pry anything out of them... My remaining idea is to try some alternative search engines, and then inquire of the linux guys - they usually know their hardware, and have pried into every aspect of it!

Hobbit112

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
As far as I know the GA-M61P-S3 is NOT compatable with any of the AM3 cpus, it doesn't have the AM3 socket.

With regards to the Phenom II 940, I'm looking for the same answer.

From Gigabyte's CPU compatability chart, it looks like it is NOT compatable at the moment. If you look under the far right column which is for BIOS version, there is N/A listed for the Phenom IIs and the Phenom X4s over the 9750. I'm wondering if it is a voltage issue since all but one of those cpus are 125+ wattage.

steven zwickel

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
I can confirm the GA-M61P-S3 with F7F does work with Phenom II X3 710 (AM2+). I had a friend let me borrow the chip, plugged it in and accepted it without a problem. I assume that all of the AM2+ chips will work. Thanks for the help everyone.

Hobbit112

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
Just heard back from Gigabyte regarding compatability with the Phenom II X4.

Hello,
With latest bios F7F M61P-S3 board support up to Phenom x4 9650 only, please refer to this web for cpu supported list;
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/BIOS_Model.aspx?ProductID=2434

Looks like I need to get a new motherboard in order to use the Phenom II X4 940 which I picked up! :fou:

And a 9650 for my M61P-S3 board too! :ouch:

yorknh

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009

Hey thanks for posting this. I just started looking to upgrade and stumbled upon the fact that AM3 is supposed to be backward compatible and then cam across you post. Looks like a Phenom II X3 720 is in my future :)

Hobbit112

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
I went with the Phenom 9650 quad core. Granted it has a slower clock speed but I wanted the 4th core for video encoding.

Working like a champ and runs cooler than my 5200+, getting 44C under full load with an Arctic Freezer 64.

WetWilly

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2009
Jumping in a bit late but ...

Based on the latest CPU support page at Gigabyte's site, the GA-M61P-S3 does support AM3 CPUs; they list the Phenom II X2 550 80w CPU as compatible using the F7F BIOS:
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/CPUSupport_Model.aspx?ProductID=2434#anchor_os

BTW the Phenom II X3 710 steven zwickel tested is a 95w AM3 CPU (not an AM2+) as well:
http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/processors/phenom-ii/Pages/phenom-ii-model-number-comparison.aspx

If we add all of this up:

1) Two Deneb-derivative (Callisto=Phenom II X2, Heka=Phenom II X3) AM3 chips work on the GA-M61P-S3, and
2) A 95w Deneb-derivative works (according steven zwickel), and
3) According to Gigabyte, the board supports 125w CPUs (Windsor cores)

then theoretically the Deneb-derived AM3 CPUs up to 125w should work on the board. What I'm finding kind of odd is that 45nm AM3 chips seem to work but Gigabyte isn't certifying any 45nm AM2+ chips.

I'd volunteer to try the AM3 Athlon II X4, but I'm waiting to see how AMD prices the Athlon II X3 chips when they ship in a month or so.

Chris_83

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
I can confirm that a Phenom X3 720 (AM3) works on the motherboard GA-M61P-S3 (BIOS F7F). The CPU is recognized correctly and running properly. With K10STAT it runs on Windows with a multiplier of 16 = 3.2 GHz. CNQ also works great :D

After you have installed the CPU, you should do a CMOS-Reset.

Excuse my bad English. Greetings from Austria.

Chris

bilbat

Splendid
AhHa! I finally found out what it is, and why I can't get it!

"AGESA, an acroynm for 'AMD Generic Encapsulated Software Architecture', is a bootstrap protocol by which system devices on AMD64-architecture mainboards are initialized.

The AGESA software in the BIOS of such mainboards is responsible for the initialization of the processor cores, memory, and the HyperTransport controller.

AGESA documentation is only available to AMD partners that have signed a non-disclosure agreement."

It's the nVidia NSA 'documentation protection' agents again - now they've got AMD - I better go back to wearing my tinfoil hat, so they'll quit 'tapping' my brainwaves! :pt1cable:
Actually, I'll go see if I can execute and NDA w/AMD, so at least I might understand when it goes wrong, why it goes wrong!! :kaola: even though I won't be able to tell anyone...

WetWilly

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2009
Why do I suspect that Intel had a copy within an hour after the AGESA documentation was released?

bilbat

Splendid
Why, exactly, would Intel care to have a copy of AMD's ratty, secret initialization routines? You wanna know how to start up (or build, for that matter) an 17/X58? Go to Intel's site and download the 5,531 pages of (not counting whitepapers and powerpoints) documentation that's freely available - or get the lot here http://www.mediafire.com/?yzj5ggmyt4g , where I've zipped it all up... You wanna 'test drive' parallel programming using hyperthreading? Go here http://software.intel.com/sites/products/irc/StudioEvalForm5.html to download Intel's Visual Studio add-on: parallel composer, inspector, and amplifier... Or the TBB 2.2 (threading building blocks) open-source or commercial toolset, here: http://www.threadingbuildingblocks.org/ver.php?fid=140 Need to look up the current i7 errata list - Intel's policy is "our screwups are no secret!"; here http://download.intel.com/design/processor/specupdt/320836.pdf is the 'October 09' list... Wanna see the 'roadmap' to the six core twelve thread 32nm Gulftown? http://download.intel.com/pressroom/kits/32nm/westmere/32nm_WSM_Press.pdf Care to see the lowdown on the new HKMG tech, or the 32nm immersion litho? Keep an eye on the 'pressroom', and hunt the archives http://www.intel.com/pressroom/ And, if you just browse around, you'll be amazed - a few weeks back I read an Intel research report on quantum tunneling, that's expected to be a roadblock somewhere around 11 nm, and 2013... You get my drift - the reason I have stuck with, and continue to stick with Intel, since I abandoned my original beloved Zilog Z-80 (and Zilog also documented everything - and publicly!) is that they recognize the value of transparency - to themselves, and to their customers...

WetWilly

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2009
Geez, I didn't expect a half-joking comment would send an Intel fanboy ballistic. But, since you've brought it up, you want to know why Intel is so open? You seriously think it's out of the goodness of their heart? Think again. Specifically, think "In the Matter of Intel Corporation - Decision and Order" which is a consent decree to settle an antitrust action by the Federal Trade Commission. Why did Intel get in trouble? Because they withheld information from a customer in order to coerce/force that customer to license patents to Intel. So, if you want to know the real reason Intel HAS to spill its technical guts read the Order:

http://www.ftc.gov/os/1999/08/intel.do.htm

Now, can we turn this discussion back to the AMD-based Gigabyte GA-M61P-S3, please?

bilbat

Splendid
Yeah - I remember Pitofsky - he's the one that Clinton used to initiate (vaguely successfully) regulation of video games and song lyrics... A - it's expired; B - it's more aimed at 'patent arguments' between companies with common markets, than anything else; C - it only compelled action concerning the complainants; and D - if the FTC had the power (which it doesn't), the inclination (which it may acquire during this ditzy administration), and the right (which it will never have, but the constitution has been progressively more ignored ever since, oh, Roosevelt...) to force technical documentation 'out into the open', I would be (regardless of my underlying principles) hugely in favor of it, just for convenience' sake! I continually make the case to manufacturers, whenever I have the opportunity, that one of the best sales techniques available is to have clearly published links to clearly written documentation; and the other is word-of-mouth, which you get by having people satisfied with both the product, and its support!

I have a few policies regarding system construction that a large number of people would do well to learn (if you read this forum regularly, you know how many answers boil down to RTFM, but expressed a little more delicately, often with clips posted alongside a reference to 'page xx of your manual'...); the first is to read all the available documentation, 'pre-purchase', on the parts under consideration; the second is related - if the manufacturer can't be bothered to put a manual for their POC on their website, then I can't be bothered to send them my money for the POC, either! I have recently been working on an Excel 'conversion file' for i7 RAM, that takes in the latencies at whatever rated frequency, and standardizes them to (the only speed officially supported by Intel) 1066 - so one can compare physical latencies, rather than high frequencies, which i7s pretty much don't really seem to care about... In the process, I've discovered that two of the 'known names' in memory only publish CAS latency, and don't even bother with tRCD, tRP, and tRAS, much less voltage - so, after running into a couple of examples, I promptly removed them both from the table - who would want such stuff?

I'm amused to be called a 'fanboy (and somewhat complimented to be called an anythingboy at my age - way back when, on my fortieth, my ex posted a sign over the entrance to the party hall that read "put the horses in the wagon - it's all downhill from here"...), but it isn't just Intel who gets my kudos, its anybody who has the insight to provide excellent documentation for things that, well, need excellent documentation! I use a fairly capacious, intricate boot manager (BootItNG from TeraByte - http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/support-bootit-next-generation.htm) whose feature set is huge, and every single aspect of it, along with just about every problem you can create with it, is meticulously documented... A lot of open source stuff, as well, (a good example is the OpenMediaLibrary: http://www.openmedialibrary.org/ ) goes above and beyond; on the other hand, I've written AMD/ATI three times in the last six months (or three releases of Catalyst - however you choose to 'mark time') to ask when the Avivo codec, which is otherwise a wonderful piece, is going to learn to close a file handle when it's done processing - and no one there can even be bothered to answer support email; apparently, if your question doesn't fit in a 'pre-answered' category, you're on your own! The only thing that keeps me from going to their competitor is that I've dealt with nVidia, and they're even worse!

elkay72

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
I believe that the 965 is not supported because it was released after the BIOS update.

I am sure it could be supported, but would require Giga-byte to release a new BIOS. I am not holding my breath.

G

I can confirm that a Phenom II X2 545 (AM3) works on it (BIOS F7F). The CPU is recognized correctly and running properly. Indeed, good overclock to 3,6 GHz (240 FSB).

Although the performance is not so good if we compare with an AM2+ or AM3 board (unlocked the other two cores to X4 B45 :pt1cable: ), it add a plus over my old Athlon X2 5000BE.

elkay72

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
From looking at other Giga-byte BIOS pages, it appears we need AGESA 3.5.3.x to support the latest chips on this board. Perhaps if enough of us ask, they'll do it.

cmscout

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
I have the GA-M61P-S3 board with the F7F bios. After asking Gigabyte's tech support if it would work with the AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE, they confirmed it would, and I bought one.

After the install, I was able to get the machine to boot up and recognize the chip and even get into Windows. The system does see the chip as quad core, but at only 1.6 Ghz. I've heard some other people having this problem. So I'm not sure if its a bios setting or what...

The other thing, my system is overheating within minutes of bootup. This shouldnt' be happening as I have 3 powerful case fans, and a push-pull radiator/watercooler setup with a Corsair H50 to the CPU. I think I put too much thermal paste on ....but if that's not it...it could be a compatibility issue.

I really hope Gigabyte (or someone else out there) has a bios for this board greater than F7f. As of now, their site still says this is a "BETA" bios:

F7F 2009/06/18
1. Beta BIOS
2. Update CPU ID (Support AGESA 3.3.2.4 code AM3 CPU)

Any help or knowledge anyone has is greatly appreciated. I found a support #, but they're closed now since its the weekend. But maybe we can put some pressure on them to continue to develop bios upgrades and compatibility for the new chips.

Gigabyte Tech Support: 1-626-854-9338

Mani2

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
Athlon II X4 630 also working on this MB.

BIOS F7F detect CPU right, but i think Cool&Quiet set too much voltage in Load - 1,4V (real 1,46V), in idle 1,15V.
I can overclocked CPU to about 3500Mhz, but my old heatsink Coolermaster Hyper TX had lot work.
Power Supply Calculator said at 1,46V/3500MHz it generate 176W. http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp
In this power the MB start generating different scary whistling sounds, so i rather slow down.
I really don't need extreme OC, i bought this CPU as a last upgrade for my old MB, so I'm verry happy that is even work!:bounce:
I can't find right load voltage, diferent sources said different value.
Right now i have set stable voltage 1,3V, FSB 220MHz x 14 multiplier = core speed 3080Mhz.
I'll be experimenting for few days.

Sorry for my english, Happy New Year from Czech rep.

wossum

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010

I am encountering the same issue with my GA-MA78G-DS3HP(rev. 2.0) board and my Phenom II 955 BE. Will only run at 1.6 Ghz, which is does by setting (the default) clock multiplier to x8 instead of x16. Any attempt to change the clock multiplier on my board to anything over x8 results in my display not functioning. Then have to clear CMOS to get back to a functioning (albeit slowly) 1.6 Ghz clock speed.

I have updated to latest BIOS (F5E in my case) and am still waiting on response from Gigabyte customer service.

elkay72

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
I bought a Athlon II X4 635 (2.9GHz) and it works perfectly in my M61P-S3. It was in the list of supported CPU's and there has been no issues. I even undervolted it to 1.225V to save some power and the system uses just 5W more at idle than my Athlon X2 3600+ did. Of course, at full load it uses quite a bit more, around 30W above the X2.