1090T/MSI 890gxm-g65 help

Hando567

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
First things first I guess, here are my system specs

CPU: AMD 1090t
Mobo: MSI 890gxm-g65
RAM: 8GB (4x2GB) crucial ballistix tracer (red)
GPU: 2x HD5770 (OC to 960/1420 both cards)
PSU: Silverstone ST1000
Case: Antec mini P180
Cooler: Corsair H70

My goal is to hit 4.2Ghz, 4.0 is ok, but 4.2 is better :)

I have a few questions however

1.) What exactly are all of these BIOS voltage settings

CPU-VDD
CPU-NB VDD
CPU Voltage
CPU-NB Voltage
NB Voltage
DRAM Voltage

Obviously DRAM is the memory, my main confusion is the CPU-VDD/CPU-NB VDD and the CPU voltage/CPU-NB voltage.

I would think the CPU voltage would be Vcore, at auto it is like 1.3 or so, way too high, the CPU-VDD however seems to have the right number for Vcore, but that leaves me to wonder, wtf is CPU voltage for.

2.) Which voltage reading do I trust?

I have started to OC a little bit with just the multiplier (at 4.0 Ghz right now) raising the CPU-VDD voltage, but what I set that voltage to and what CPU-z reads are way different.

I had it at 4.2Ghz with my CPU VDD at 1.45, but CPU-z read 1.560 (whoa!!) so I shut that down immediately and scaled back to 1.4 and 4.0Ghz which nets me a CPU-z voltage of 1.480. So my question is, do I trust CPU-z and figure I cannot do 4.2Ghz reliably (24/7 clock) or do I trust my BIOS settings? For reference my temp in AOD did not pass 45C at the 4.2 setting, it peaks around 35 when everything in BIOS was at AUTO.

I want to get this voltage stuff figured out before I end up frying my chip, I plan on making sure it will be stable at 4.2Ghz then figuring out what the highest Bus speed and HTT speeds I can get will be

Hando567

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
Update: Voltage got to 1.51 when set to 1.4 in BIOS, Ive heard of Vgain, but .11 volts? Seems a bit extreme.

Everest ultimate reads 1.4 steady, CPU-z jumps from 1.46 to 1.51 during Prime.

Hando567

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
Well there goes the MB. Stress testing at 4Ghz and CPU-VDD at 1.35 I got a slight crack and the whole system shut down and wont start back up. It will turn on if I unplug the +12v 4 pin CPU power, but the PSU shuts it down as if there is a short when I plug that back in (nothing actually happens with it unplugged, fans spin and HDD spins up but no POST).

This is the second time it has done this (second MOBO) I figured the first one was just defective, but the exact same thing happening twice in a row I doubt it now. Could my voltage regulators be overheating and shorting themselves out? The heatsink on the MOBO felt pretty hot to the touch, unfortunately I was not looking at the reading when the crash happened. Really bummed out now, time to send 2 RMAs back to newegg :( . Such is life with overclocking I guess.

No visible damage on the mobo btw, no burn spots or anything of the sort.

green300

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010

Bummer Hando, Just wanted to reply to let you know your not alone, it's not just you. If you look around you'll find that a few have had the same problems with the msi 890's. Most have had no problems, but a few have. Rather than offer a bunch of negative experiences, I'll offer This Tread from the msi forums. It does make reference to other post that directed me to the msi link.

Hang tough Hando, you had a nice oc going there..

Hando567

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
Thanks, I did some more research after it happened and found several forums with similar threads on this board. Going to order some 40 mm fans to cool the MOSFET sink. It looks like there is a spot on either side of the sink where I can fit a 40-50mm fan under the H70, figured I would ziptie or something 2 fans in a push/pull to try to get some extra airflow going to the 200mm top fan on the case.

I think my biggest downfall (and the reason why the voltage in CPU-z was so unstable) was that I did not turn off turboCORE, I left it at stock settings but evidently it still adds extra voltage.

Well at least now I know what caused it to fail, and I know that my 1090 is capable of 4.2Ghz, now I just need to get temps and volts in check and find my bus speed and HTT limits. God it takes long to get a good OC on a new PC, I havent done this since I got the E6420/P35c DS3R machine I am on now to 3.2, and even then I am running stock volts on this. lol

TRENDING THREADS