Sign in with
Your question

Intel X25-V Value 40GB SSD Drive vs WD 2TB black edition

Last response: in Storage
September 7, 2010 12:18:16 PM

Hi,
Considering my budget to be around 200$ for storage for my new PC...
which would be for some gaming and regular work... what should i prefer..
Intel X25-V Value 40GB SSD Drive as boot drive + 1tb of any regular HD
or WD 2 TB black as boot drive

i have heard that tdoay's high peforming HDDs outperforms low cost ssds,but i haven't found a suitable benchmarks ..

pls adivce
September 7, 2010 12:43:41 PM

I think your hunch is correct 40G-SSD boot drive and 1TB BLK as data drive. I would put swap files on data drive just to reduce the wear on SSD. It would be way faster than even Raid0 of two 1TB Blk!.

Besides if you Raid0 the 1TB drives, and one fails, you are dead on the water!. Just create a small alternative boot partition on the Blk data drive as "safety" in case the SSD dies prematurely.
September 7, 2010 12:52:00 PM

fteoOpty64 said:
I think your hunch is correct 40G-SSD boot drive and 1TB BLK as data drive. I would put swap files on data drive just to reduce the wear on SSD. It would be way faster than even Raid0 of two 1TB Blk!.

Besides if you Raid0 the 1TB drives, and one fails, you are dead on the water!. Just create a small alternative boot partition on the Blk data drive as "safety" in case the SSD dies prematurely.

hi,
Thanks for your suggestion... but could u detail me more on how to "Swap files on data drive" and "how to reduce the wear on SSD"

Thanks,
Related resources
a b G Storage
September 7, 2010 1:03:21 PM

40 GB is very small. You may want to consider spending a bit more on a bigger SSD (or waiting for the prices to come down). A filled SSD will be slower and will die sooner.
Regular HDs are much faster than early SSDs with a crappy JMicron controller but a decent SSD even outperforms high end hard drives easily.
September 7, 2010 1:32:32 PM

Mimoso said:
40 GB is very small. You may want to consider spending a bit more on a bigger SSD (or waiting for the prices to come down). A filled SSD will be slower and will die sooner.
Regular HDs are much faster than early SSDs with a crappy JMicron controller but a decent SSD even outperforms high end hard drives easily.

Any idea how sooner and how slower will it be ??? :pt1cable: 
a b G Storage
September 7, 2010 3:09:09 PM

rocky_mystic said:
Any idea how sooner and how slower will it be ??? :pt1cable: 

A SSD is supposed to last three years with normal usage.
Every memory cell can be written/erased about 5000 times. To increase life SSDs will distribute the writes to all available memory cells.
If you have only 1 GB available space then the write cycles will be used up after writing a mere 5 TB.
If you have 20 GB available space the write cycles will be used up after writing 100 TB.
This is very simplistic but you get the picture ;) 
!