TMPIN2 is 128 degrees C in HWMonitor??

Gamble85

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
I haven't overclocked anything yet - I just downloaded HWMonitor. The first two readings are fine (35C CPU, 31C MOBO I am assuming). But the third reading is at 128C. What in the world is going on? Thanks!

I have an Phenom II x4 965, and an Asus m498td evo mobo.

I still use and recommend HWMonitor. The issue is that there is no good way to tell what is a reading and what is not. Now obviously 128C is false. However, the way HWMonitor works is it reads everything it can and makes its best guess at what is what. Since there is no standardization in monitoring chips, that means it sometimes mixes up voltages and reports disconnected temperature sensors. However, there are many other monitoring softwares out there if you want to try them, such as Everest.

RJR

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
I used to use lots of different programs to monitor everything with a sensor, but I guess it's my old age that has me using CoreTemp or RealTemp to monitor my core temps now and that's about it. Once my OC is set I may stick my hand in the box to make sure there is enough air flow over the passive heat sinks (since I'm on water) so they are not getting too hot when running Prime but that's about it. I just finished a review on a set of Ballistix Ram with the built in thermal sensor and really had to hold myself back from stating what a waste of time I think a thermal sensor on DDR3 memory is.

But, either way, if you use Everest,HWMonitor, CoreTemp etc. just realize that they aren't perfect and sometimes can give crazy reading (like you know already).

Gamble85

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
OK cool thanks guys. I tried CoreTemp, Speedfan, and RealTemp and all of them had various problems (coretemp and realtemp had my cpu at 0C) so I guess I'm just going to stick to Asus's Probe II which seems to work fine although it may not be giving me true core temp.

I've had really bad luck reading true core temps. My i5 did it correctly from the start, my PII 940 did it from the start however the CPU temp (the one that controls CPU fans) was way too low for several BIOSes (so I had to force the fan to max), and the rest of my AMD CPUs are around 20C too low on core temp.

deathincarnate963

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012

it has to be the power supply reporting the newest and the baddest power supply i just looked up will run the capacitorsat 100c so that must be it. try finding that power supply and then asking someone who uses it to use hardware monitor to check it then you have the answer problem solved

eXistenZ

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
I think it's an ASUS thing. They say don't use (i.e., don't trust) another program because their own temps are standardized and calibrated for the MOBO or something. If I recall correctly, I was able to eliminate those spikes (that was my problem) when I used HW with the AI Suite disabled. Those false readings come from the AI Suite software in ASUS mobo, I believe.