Good ASUS Board for i7?

hockster

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
I'm building a new rig on a $1500 budget and would like to run an ASUS board again. This will be a gaming rig for FPS's.

I've heard a good yet affordable CPU would be the i7 920. I'm comfortable with OC'ing and will be doing that with the CPU, GPU and memory. Can anyone recommend a good yet not too expensive ASUS board to run with this processor? Does one really need to spend $300 to get a quality board? I was thinking more in the $200 or so range, but would spend the extra $$$ if the performance gained was worth it. There just seems to be so much to choose from. I'll still be running XP Pro for a while longer, so I be looking to run 3 GB's of some good memory at the most. I've been running some Corsair CL2 for the past few years, but I see a lot of people talk about OCZ around here. Is it really better? I have an existing VelociRaptor HD that I'll be using in the new system, so I don't mind spending a bit more on some faster memory to eliminate any possible bottlenecks. I'm also trying to determine if SLI is really worth the extra cost, or would one GTX 285 suffice? I've heard the extra cost for SLI doesn't equate in terms of dollars spent to gained FPS/performance.

Any tips or recommendations are greatly appreciated. Thanks!