Do ATI video cards work better with AMD CPU's than Intel CPU's?

AKM880

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
^ Haha :lol: . And No it doesn't really matter. I have a AMD CPU with a Nvidia card I don't see any differences. My HTPC is a Pentium 4 with a ATI HD 3650 no problems here ;).

4745454b

Titan
If anything, seeing as the C2D line is faster then the Athlon x2/Phenom line, it would run faster on an Intel then an AMD. Just because you put an AMD video card in a non AMD system doesn't mean the card downclocks itself 20%.

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
Its just marketing, since AMD owns ATI now they would prefer you have both their CPUs combined with their graphics as well. Ive always had AMD cpus minus the Pent 2 400mhz I had 10 years ago. Recently had a X2 6000 cpu bundled with a Nvidia 8800 GTs 640mb card and games ran fine. Curently I went with a Phen 2 955 and a ATI 4870 1gb and everything runs great as well!

Yes your lovely photos you posted also point to that conclusion.

Word, Playa.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
Could be we just never would know! because the intel and amd cpus vary usually in different application it's more or less apples to oranges when comparing cpus in a price range. But if you're a true fanboy liek audiophile you will believe it does no matter what proof is given to you.

randomizer

Champion

If it was true we would know by now, and if we didn't know then obviously it isn't making a noticeable impact is it? ;)

Besides, what would Intel say to the EU if AMD got caught doing this?

I think the EU would say "Doing what? We dn't see anything"

j/k :p

The only time a GPU runs betetr with a CPU is only when the GPU is no longer the bottleneck, mainly in multi card setups. Thats the only time you will see much of a difference between the CPUs. But when its a single GPU they all run the same no matter what.

core i7 ownage

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
But AMD will do this at 2011. Ever heard "BullDozer" and "Fusion"?
If not, get your lazy bones up working hard to type "Bulldozer AMD" then pick ones with wiki. Read it then click the link that says "Fusion". There's you go.

rockstone1

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2007

Um.... Thats not true.

The Phenom II line kicks ass against the Core 2 Duo.

Core 2 Quad even bows to AMD's Might depending on settings.

4745454b

Titan
I didn't say PhenomII, I said Phenom. There is a difference. Learn to read before voting a post down. I would be willing to bet that most people running AMDs in their systems are still running either an X2, or an original phenom. PhII are to new, and haven't sold as many.