My Build. What can I do better?

sontan

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2008
Intel QX9750 (freebie)
Asus P5K
4gb Supertalent 800 DDR2
Freezer pro 7 cooling
MSI HD3870 (very loud fan that winds up and down constantly)
Aspire 520w PS (older PS without pci3 6pin or 24pin out) had to get adaptors to make it work
Pioneer dvd burner
sony dvd reader
seagate barricuda 320gb 7200rpm
Raidmax case with 5 80mm loud fans (i hate this case)
cordless logitech keboard and mouse

Guys, ive had all these items purchaed for about 8months now. I got the new chip for free and just popped it in so no cost there. Is there anything thing i can do to bump up this setup and make it the top dog?

I know stepping up to a 4870 would do it but what about other items as well?

what would you guys do to this setup?

thanks

doormatderek

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
your processor is a little slow, i would recommend a faster DUAL core over your quad, but you're best bet would be a faster videocard... What resolution you using?

doormatderek

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
all the really matters is your cpu/speed and videocard, everything else is just filler... O and your powersupply, that is THE most important part actually....

sontan

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2008

How is my cpu slow? it is the faster 771 socket intel makes. only the i7's are faster. Am i misssing something? i have a 3.16g quadcore extreme yorksfield

Just ignore doormatderek, he's delusional ;)

You need to put that unlocked multiplier to work with a good cooling system including case and CPU cooler. A P45 board wouldn't hurt either, but in terms of performance gain the other items are probably more important.

sontan

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2008

so it sounds like my next move should be: better video card/better cooling/open up the cpu a bit.

anyone have tips on a top notch heatsink fan combo that will allow some overclocking? thanks a bunch

:lol: Do you mind sharing whatever you're smoking?

sontan

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2008

my freezer pro 7 seems to look a lot like the dark knight but it does not have retention brackets. do that make that much a difference? what makes the pro 7 so much worse than the other you guys listed?

The Freezer 7 Pro is quite a bit smaller and isn't really up to the task of cooling a quad core CPU. It will work fine for a minor overclock on a dual core, but for a real overclock on a quad core you'll need to step it up a notch.

wcarthurii

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
Idk why you NEED to o.c. an extreme cpu. yes it has the possibilities, but if everything works fine and frame rate is good, why overstress the cpu needlessly. The best money you can spend right now is getting rid of what annoys you most.

It seems like your ok (or maybe bored) with your system. From what I read, your case is the most bothersome. Replace it. Get something using only 120s and up. The Haf 932, the Cosmos, The stacker, The cm sniper (i just bought one and i am in <3 ) Stay away from cheap cases and atleast spend $150.

IMO, the psu would be my next course of action. Grab something 600w or bigger. Just make sure you get a stable psu that will last a while. Silverstone, corsair, gigabyte, pp&c, thermaltake, coolermaster, Seasonic and Zalman are all good choices.

Maybe if you have money left over, you will grab a 4870. I recommend the 1gb version. Grabbing one with an upgraded cooler, like the sapphire toxic edition, asus DK or msi version.

And if you STILL have money left over, invest in a faster hard drive. Raptors are always good, but the terabyte drives are almost as fast. The wd 640gb aaks drives are extremely fast for a standard drive, especially in raid.

As long as your happy with everything else, I dont see a need for anything more.